UMass Law is the Commonwealth's public law school. We are committed to providing an excellent, affordable, and accessible legal education.
Our collegial community respects and promotes diversity in identity and ideas. Our program balances legal theory, doctrine, skills, experience, and professionalism. We strive to graduate competent, ethical, and creative professionals who exercise sound judgment.
Our involvement in the legal community enables our students to thrive in a changing profession and to serve the needs of their future clients.
We advance justice within and beyond the Commonwealth through our research, writing, teaching, learning, practice, and engagement with the profession.
- Access to legal education
- Individualized engagement to support the academic and professional goals and well-being of students and alumni
- Respectful and collegial community that promotes and supports:
- diversity in people and ideas, and
- development of professional identity
- Excellent education that balances:
- legal knowledge, skills, and theory
- ethical and professional habits, skills, and values, and
- understanding of law in society through experiential learning
- Pursuit of justice within and beyond the Commonwealth through:
- research and practice that contribute to the development of the law and legal education
- service to the public and partnership with the profession
- enhancement of access to justice
- contribution to social and economic development