UMass Law is the only public law school in Massachusetts. We are committed to providing an excellent, affordable, and accessible legal education that:
- balances legal theory, doctrine, skills, experience, and professionalism
- graduates competent, ethical, and creative professionals
- prepares our students to thrive in a changing profession
- advances justice through research, writing, teaching, learning, and practice
Why UMass Law is right for you
UMass Law is preparing a new generation of lawyers who will pursue justice.
- Outstanding professional preparation
- Affordable legal education
- Flexibility in earning your degree
- Real world law practice opportunities
Fulfill your dream of becoming a lawyer with one of UMass Law's Juris Doctor (JD) degree programs:
- full-time day program
- part-time day program
- part-time evening/weekend program
- joint degree programs including fast-track 3+3 baccalaureate/Juris Doctor programs
There is more to legal education than instilling knowledge of the law. The best education takes place in an atmosphere of cooperation and collegiality. UMass Law's faculty members are devoted to helping students realize their highest potential.
Our faculty are teachers and scholars with substantial academic and practice experience. Their expertise includes areas of the law such as bankruptcy, commercial, corporate, constitutional, criminal, cyber, family, immigration, intellectual property, and international.
Prepared for practice
UMass Law students learn the law—and they learn how to be lawyers.
You'll develop a professional point of view through clinics, internships, field placements, & pro bono work. You'll become familiar with the practice of law as you improve your skills in interviewing and counseling, case planning, direct representation, and dealing with ethical issues that arise in practice.
Our students affirm that these opportunities—which integrate knowledge, theory, ethics, and skills—are among their most rewarding law school experiences.
UMass Law is approved by the Council of the Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar of the American Bar Association, 321 North Clark Street, Chicago, IL 60610, 312.988.6738.
UMass Law is part of the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, which is fully accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE).