Welcome! We are very pleased that you have chosen to attend UMass Law for your legal education, and we look forward to seeing you for law school orientation.
Law school is exciting, challenging, and, at times, stressful. Each student will face his or her own hurdles. We are committed to providing you with the tools necessary for success. This begins with Orientation.
You can find Orientation assignments, expectations before the start of classes, and resources in our student portal.
2018 Orientation: August 14–17
Details for 2018 Orientation will be added as new information becomes available.
- 9am - 6:30pm
- 10am - 5pm
- 5:30pm-6:30pm: evening social event
- 10am - 1pm: full-time students only
- 1pm - 5pm: open time to visit main campus - obtain your student ID & parking pass
- 5pm - 9pm: part-time students only
All students, voluntary participation
- 8:30am - 12pm: service day - community service project
- 12:30pm - 2:30pm: Library/student services open house
Orientation is an integral part of your first year of law school. It is designed to introduce you to the fundamental skills you need as you begin your legal education. Orientation is comprised of four components:
- Academic: an introduction to basic law school skills and academic expectations, including how to read and brief cases and what to expect in class
- Administrative: an introduction to many of the administrative services, including the Law Enrollment Center, Financial Aid, and Information Technology
- Ethics & professionalism: an introduction to the importance of professionalism in law school and law practice
- Social: both formal and informal opportunities to meet with faculty, staff, classmates, and upper-level students
The information on this page will be updated as orientation plans are finalized. If you have questions, contact: Nancy Moniz, Assistant Director of the Law Enrollment Center: 508.985.1114 or email@example.com