UMass Law participates in the federal Title IV Direct Loan program, offering Unsubsidized and Graduate Plus loans.
Borrowers must meet the general eligibility requirements for federal student aid.
- U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents and Eligible Non-Citizens
- Enrolled at least half-time
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress (as defined by your school)
- Cannot be in default on a federal student loan
Graduate PLUS Loans
- Be a graduate or professional degree student enrolled at least half-time at an eligible school in a program leading to a degree or certificate
- Not have an adverse credit history*
* Applicants can add an endorser or appeal their credit decisions if denied.
Annual & aggregate limits
For Graduate or Professional Students, the annual loan limit is $20,500 and the aggregate loan limit is $138,500
Graduate PLUS loans
Graduate or Professional Students can borrow up to the cost of the student's annual attendance minus other financial aid the student receives.
Interest rates & fees
The Federal Direct Unsubsidized and Graduate PLUS Loan interest rates vary depending on the loan type and the first disbursement date of the loan. The table below provides interest rates for Direct Loans first disbursed on or after July 1, 2017. All interest rates shown are fixed rates for the life of the loan.
Interest rates for Direct Loans first disbursed on or after July 1, 2017
|Loan Type||Borrower Type||First disbursed on or after 7/1/17 & before 7/1/18|
|Direct Unsubsidized Loans||Graduate or Professional||6%|
|Direct PLUS Loans||Parents and Graduate or Professional Students||7%|
Federal Direct Unsubsidized and Graduate PLUS Loans have fees that area percentage of the total loan amount. The loan origination fee is deducted proportionately from each loan disbursement you receive.
Origination fees for Direct Loans on or after October 1, 2016
|Loan Type||First Disbursement Date||Loan Fee|
|Direct Unsubsidized Loans||On or after 10/1/16 and before 10/1/17||1.069%|
|On or after 10/1/17 and before 10/1/18||1.066%|
|Direct PLUS Loans||On or after 10/1/16 and before 10/1/17||4.276%|
|On or after 10/1/17 and before 10/1/18||4.274%|