Skip to main content.
Welcome to campus housing!

When do I move in?

Move-in dates are posted on the housing site.

What do I need to know before moving in?

Move-in information is available on the housing site.

What furnishing is provided in my room?

Roberts, Chestnut, Maple Ridge, Elmwood, Pine Dale, and Oak Glen halls
Each room is furnished with a desk, chair, bureau, wardrobe and bed.

Cedar Dell community
(Cedar Dell West and South)
Cedar Dell kitchens are equipped with a refrigerator, stove, sink, table and chairs. Living areas are supplied with a chair, coffee table, and couch. There are 1.5 bathrooms. Each bedroom in the apartments is furnished with a closet, bureau, desk, chair and bed.

Woodland community
(Hickory, Birch, Willow, Evergreen, Ivy, and Aspen halls)
Woodland apartments are furnished with a refrigerator, stove, sink, dishwasher, and an island with chairs. Living areas are furnished with a TV stand, 1-2 chairs, a couch and coffee table. There are 2 bathrooms in each apartment. Each bedroom in the apartments is furnished with a closet, bureau, desk, chair and bed.

Can I come to campus early and see my room?

Unfortunately, no. During the summer, all halls are used to house conference guests or are under various stages of maintenance. We cannot permit unauthorized persons to be in the residence halls.

How can I change my room?

Room changes are done only after the room freeze period is over. The room freeze period begins once a student is assigned a room and is the time period needed to determine vacancies due to students who have transferred or withdrawn from school. Please see your Resident Director (RD) for more specific information on the room freeze period.

Once the room freeze period is over, students may go to their RDs to place requests to change their rooms. The RD will notify the student once a room has become available.

What do I do if I don’t get along with my roommate(s)?

Please see your Resident Assistant or your Resident Director if you are having trouble getting along with your roommate(s). They can assist with mediation or facilitate a room change if necessary

What is an RA/RD?

A Resident Assistant (RA) is a sophomore, junior, or senior student hired and supervised by the Office of Housing and Residential Life who serves as a paraprofessional administrator on his/her residence hall floor. RAs serve as a peer resource and promote community through educational and social means that challenge and support the personal development of each resident. Resident Assistants (RAs) are on duty in each building on weeknights from 7 pm to 7 am and on the weekends from 7 pm on Friday night to 7 am on Monday morning.

Resident Directors (RDs) are full-time professional staff members holding either bachelor's or master's degrees with significant experience working in a residential setting. All RDs live on campus, have offices located in residence halls, and share a rotating on-call responsibility for the university residential community each night. They supervise and support the RAs, who in turn supervise and support the students on their designated floor. Resident Directors are on-call 24 hours a day to respond to any emergencies.

I had to withdraw from a class and now am only enrolled in 9 credits. Can I still stay on campus?

Yes. Students who withdraw from a course after the add/drop date and fall below the 12 credit full-time requirement can stay on campus as long as the student has initially attempted 12 credit hours.

Students who fall below the 12 credit requirement during the add/drop period will not be eligible to stay on campus.

Students with extenuating circumstances or seniors with nine credits left to take in their last semester can request approval to stay on campus from the Director of Housing.

What are the checkout procedures?

A student must check out of his or her room at the end of the spring semester 24 hours after the student's last final or by the date posted in the building.

A student leaving the university during the school year must schedule an appointment with his/her RA or RD to check out of his/her room.

Upon removing all personal belongings from his or her room, the student must check out with an RA, complete the room inventory form and return his/her mailbox and room key. Students who do not follow this procedure will be charged $150 for improper checkout as well as a charge for any key(s) not returned.

Whom do I contact if I'm leaving the university?

A student leaving the university must complete a student leave form and follow all procedures indicated on the form. Upon submission of the form, the student must make an appointment with an RA or RD to check out of his/her residence hall room. Please also see the question above: checkout procedures.

What should I do if I no longer want to live on campus?

Students who live on campus have signed a one-year contract to live on campus and pay the fees associated with the contract. For information on termination of the housing contract, please visit: housing terms and conditions.

How do I get something fixed in my room?

Please see your RA or RD to place a work order request.

When is room selection?

Room selection takes place during the spring semester. Please check the housing site in late January/early February for more information.


Visit us virtually

Visit us from anywhere, at any time.
Take a virtual tour of the UMass Dartmouth campus.