Please join the Center for Portuguese Studies and Culture|Tagus Press, the Ferreira-Mendes Portuguese-American Archives and the Department of Portuguese for an informative presentation about Make Portuguese Count™ in the 2020 Census Campaign.
Thursday, February 27, 2020 at 5pm (snow date: March 2, 2020, at 5pm).
Claire T. Carney Grand Reading Room .
What is Make Portuguese Count™ about?
PALCUS - Portuguese-American Leadership Council of the United States - has launched a national campaign to encourage the participation of Portuguese Americans in the 2020 U.S. Census under the tagline Make Portuguese Count™. PALCUS has been working with the U.S. Census Bureau to establish the first national Complete Count Committee in the history of the Bureau so that all U.S. residents who claim Portuguese ancestry will be informed and counted as "Portuguese" in the 2020 Census.
Why is this important for our community?
The impact of an accurate census count for the communities where Portuguese Americans live is significant for several reasons:
- communities can receive their fair share of the more than $675 billion per year in federal funds spent on schools, hospitals, roads, public works and other vital programs;
- business make decisions on where to build factories, offices and stores, thereby creating jobs;
- developers use the census to build new homes and revitalize old neighborhoods;
- local governments use the census for public safety and emergency preparedness;
- the boundaries and number of congressional districts are determined for each state.
- Portuguese Language Education in public schools;
- grants for social services and health studies specific to the Portuguese;
- political voice with elected officials.
Refreshments will be served. Please use Parking lot 13. Free and open to the public.
For additional information please call (508) 999 8255 or e-mail email@example.com.