Skip to main content.

To be eligible for campus employment as an international student, you must be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in a degree program at UMass Dartmouth.

  • Undergraduates must be enrolled in degree programs; first-year Navitas students are not eligible.
  • Graduate students must be registered as degree candidates.

International students are not eligible for Federal Work-Study positions.

Limits on hours to be worked

No student may work more than 8 hours per day or 20 hours per week when school is in session for one or any combination of departments. There are no exceptions. The 8 hours per day or 20 hour per week limit applies only during the academic year employment periods. The average student works 4 to 6 hours per week, depending on the requirements of the position.

When school is not in session, students may work 8 hours per day or 40 hours per week (maximum).

Stipend-based positions: These positions have hours associated with them, even though they are not based on hourly wages. A stipend is payment for work performed by a graduate student, and therefore must be viewed as part of the 20 hour limit for when school is in session and as considered by Department of Homeland Security regulations.

F-1 visa students

  • On-campus employment is always allowed with F-1 visa status without special permission.
  • Off-campus employment always requires special permission from the International Student Center.

J-1 visa students

  • Both on-campus and off-campus employment require written permission from the agency that issued your DS-2019 form.

Get started 

  • Use CORSAIR Jobs to locate a job. If you don't yet have your U.S. Social Security card, be sure to ask the supervisor to complete an F-1 job offer form for you, to be brought to UMassD's ISSC Home. This is the form you need to apply for a Social Security card.
  • Obtain a U.S. Social Security card. Staff at the International Student & Scholar Center can help you with this. It's important when applying for your Social Security card that the name you use to apply matches exactly the name on your I-20 or DS-2019 and your name in COIN.
  • Once your hiring has been approved, you'll receive an alert from CORSAIR Jobs to complete the appropriate forms and bring them to the Student Employment Office. All forms must be handed in and processed together.


GLACIER Tax Compliance

Once we have processed your job placement, there is one final step to complete. The university uses GLACIER Tax Compliance, a web-based system for nonresident alien tax compliance, which determines tax treaty benefits and generates tax-withholding documents.

A link will be sent to your UMass Dartmouth email where you will create a username and password, then answer a series of questions after which tax documents will be generated. You will need to print, sign, and bring these documents to the Student Employment Office along with your newly acquired Social Security card.

GLACIER Tax Compliance needs to be updated if you receive an extension on your form I-20 or DS2019. This form, along with your newly generated GLACIER documents, needs to be submitted to the Student Employment Office. You are not allowed to work beyond your I-20 or DS-2019 expiration date.

Be sure to keep GLACIER, COIN and HR Direct contact information current. The address in GLACIER and COIN is what will print on your tax documents.

Passwords for GLACIER can be requested by phone or email from the Student Employment Office.

GLACIER Tax Compliance can be used with a university-offered companion software, GLACIER Tax Prep, to file a U.S. Income Tax Return.

More information

For all students: Get started with student employment


Visit us virtually

Visit us from anywhere, at any time.
Take a virtual tour of the UMass Dartmouth campus.