In support of CVPA faculty instruction and student learning, the VML Hub oversees the CVPA Equipment Bureau that includes cameras, grip pens, tablets, studio lighting, microphones, backdrops, video equipment and more.
Equipment is available for daily classroom instruction or research projects. The VML Hub urges faculty to call ahead to ensure equipment is procured. We also realize that classroom instruction is a fluid endeavor. If you need any equipment at the last minute, VML is happy to assist.
Equipment is available only to students enrolled in CVPA courses. Otherwise, please check with the Clarie T. Carney University Library's Circulation Desk.
VML Hub offers a wide range of photographic, video, audio and digital equipment for classroom instruction and student projects. .....Due to COVID equipment pick up and returns are by appointment only. Please book an appointment today.....
CVPA students & faculty are responsible for the care and safety of all equipment while in their possession. Each semester, students and faculty must complete and sign an “Equipment Bureau Policy Agreement” subscribing to the VML Hub policies and procedures.
- Equipment may be renewed provided no one is waiting.
- At pick up appointment, staff will go over the inventory checklist with you. This can take up to 15 minutes, so please plan accordingly.
- Some equipment will require permission from the professor(s).
- Your UMassD Pass Card is required for checking out equipment. Please have it with you at the pickup appointment.
- Reservations will be canceled if the equipment is not picked up within an hour of the appointment. Please call if a problem arises or if you are late.
- Last-minute loans will require time to prepare equipment for loan. Otherwise, we cannot be responsible for its function.
- Students may checkout only one camcorder, camera, tablet, laptop or camera at a time.
- Faculty may checkout multiple items at a time for classroom instruction; please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com to make arrangements.
- Multi-item checkouts may not exceed 24 hours without special permission from the VML Hub.
- All equipment including accessories must be returned on time and in good condition with all accompanying parts.
- Patrons will be required to wait momentarily for staff to verify that the items have been returned intact.
- Borrowing item(s) is contingent on being returned on time by the prior user. The Hub recommends that you call to verify the equipment will be ready for pickup.
- The VML Hub has the right to limit the number of loans per patron.
- Patron is responsible for deleting data on memory devices. Equipment with memory capabilities will be erased upon its return.
- Borrowing privileges will be suspended if the equipment is not returned or repeatedly returned late.
- Equipment will be assumed lost if not returned by closing.
Renews & Tardiness
- Depending on the demand, equipment may be renewed via the telephone or email (up to two times) before returning it to the VML Hub.
- If you anticipate that the equipment will not be returned on time please contact the VML Hub. At this time, there is no late fee implemented. Instead, we ask everyone to adhere to an honor system and return item(s) on time. Please keep in mind that your fellow classmates need the equipment as well. So...please don’t be late.
- Pick up and return equipment to the VML Hub CVPA – Room 257.
- Borrower accepts and assumes all financial responsibility for the cost of repair or replacement in the event of loss due to theft, damage, negligence or misuse.
- Charges for missing or damaged parts and/or equipment will be levied. UMassD accounts will be placed on immediate hold.
- Borrowing privileges may be suspended for late returns, and for loss or stolen items.
- Equipment should be handled with care.
- Never leave the equipment unattended!
- Any equipment malfunction, missing parts or damage must be reported immediately to VML Hub staff.
Types of Equipment
- Audio Recorders
- Audio Accessories
- Card Readers
- Colour Calibrators
- Apple & PC computers (faculty only)
- Cameras (Canon Rebel Ti5, 5D and 6D)
- Lens (58mm,77mm, and more)
- Scanners Flatbeds (loan & facility)
- Camera copy-stand (facility only)
- LED Lights
- Light meters
- Strobe Lights
- Follow Focus
- Video Cameras
- Mat Cutters
- Vinyl Cutters
- Large-scale Paper and Stock Cutters
- Wacom Tablets
- 360 cameras
- 3D cameras
- Gaming Computer
Claire T. Carney University
Equipment Wish List
The VML Hub is always adding and replacing equipment in accordance with CVPA curriculum needs and demands. Please let us know the item(s) you need for your next course or project.
Tutorials & Guides
To help with equipment assemblage and application, we've gathered a series of links to instructional videos, manuals, and guides.
Guide & Tutorials
Help Us Build Our Tutorial Library
If you know of any great instructional videos or would like to conduct an equipment workshop, please send your suggestion(s) to Allison J. Cywin.
Art Documentation & Demos for Virtual Critiques
- Photographing 2D Artwork at Home
- Photographing 3D Artwork at Home
- Best Practice Video/Live Demos at Home
- Best Practices for Creating a Virtual Crit
- Document Camera for Art Demos
- Zoom Connecting to External Camera
Visual & Media Literacy Hub's digital collections are available to the UMassDartmouth campus community for the sole purpose of instruction, scholarship, and study in accordance with the Visual Resource Association Statement on the Fair Use of Images for Teaching, Research, and Study, and the College Art Association for Best Practice in Fair Use for the Visual Arts. All other uses are strictly prohibited and are subject to U.S. Copyright Laws.