Michael Goodman he/him
Senior Advisor to the Chancellor for Economic Development and Strategic Initiatives
Claire T. Carney Library 356
- Social Science Research Methods
- Public Management
- Policy Analysis
- $ 10,000 awarded by One SouthCoast Chamber for One SouthCoast Chamber Strategic Planning Process
- $ 93,882 awarded by Vineyard Wind for Vineyard Wind 1 LLC - Contract Agreement with UMass Dartmouth
- Economic Sociology
- Regional Science
- Economic development
- Housing Policy
Dr. Michael Goodman is Senior Advisor to the Chancellor for Economic Development and Strategic Initiatives and Professor of Public Policy at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth.
In August 2020 he was appointed Acting Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs by UMass System President Marty Meehan and served 18 months in that role. This followed six years of service as Executive Director of the Public Policy Center, two terms as Faculty Senate President, and six years as Chair of the Department of Public Policy.
An economic sociologist, Professor Goodman joined the faculty at UMass Dartmouth in 2009 after serving for eight years as the Director of Economic and Public Policy Research at the UMass Donahue Institute. A leading analyst of the Massachusetts economy, he has authored or co-authored over fifty professional publications on a wide range of public policy issues including regional economic development and housing policy as well as demographic and other applied social science research topics. He has supported this research by generating over $6 million in external grant and contract funding from a diverse array of public and private sources.
Professor Goodman currently serves as Co-Editor of MassBenchmarks, the journal of the Massachusetts economy published by the UMass Donahue Institute in cooperation with the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston. He is also an active and longstanding member of several boards and community based organizations including:
- The Associated Industries of Massachusetts (AIM) Economic Advisory Board
- The New England Public Policy Center at the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston Advisory Board
- Massachusetts Economic Assistance Coordinating Council (Gubernatorial appointee)
- Innovation Index Advisory Committee Member – Massachusetts Technology Collaborative
- Leadership SouthCoast
- One SouthCoast Chamber of Commerce Education Committee