Students whose families experience a change in financial circumstances are eligible for a review of those changed circumstances. Special circumstances include, but are not limited to:
- Loss of job or reduction in income
- Loss or reduction of some type of untaxed income or benefit
- Low parent income and student support of household expenses
- Separation, divorce or death of one of the student's parents or student's spouse
- Reduction in student income due to lack of a summer job
- Student leaving a full-time job to attend UMD
- Other unusual expenses or one-time sources of income
- Addition of parent to the number in college (granted only if related to job / employment, retraining, career advancement / promotion)
Students who wish to have their special circumstances reviewed, should submit a detailed letter describing the circumstance. You may be asked to submit additional documentation including copies of the most recent IRS tax transcript, W-2, and pay stubs to the Financial Aid Office.
Appeal Deadline: Submit your appeal and required documentation as soon as possible for maximum consideration. All documents for initial requests must be submitted within 30 days. After the 30 day deadline all Special Circumstances with outstanding documents will be closed. Appeals received after December 31, 2018 will not be considered.
A financial aid counselor will review the information contained in the letter and accompanying documentation and determine if an adjustment is warranted.