The Department of Computer & Information Science is part of the College of Engineering.
Computer science encompasses the following sub-disciplines:
- algorithms and data structure
- programming languages
- computer architecture
- numerical and symbolic computation
- operating systems
- software methodology and engineering
- databases and information management
- artificial intelligence/intelligent information systems/robotics
- computer and information security, human-computer communication
- net-centric computing, internet computing
- computational science, bioinformatics
Computer science tends to be more software-oriented than computer engineering (which is more hardware-oriented). However, both disciplines encompass both hardware and software. UMassD's computer science program focuses on the methodologies of computing, offering a solid foundation for career success. The program offers the flexibility for students to pursue a minor in another academic discipline.
Our faculty members are involved in research and professional activities in many major areas of computing, from bio-informatics to robotics to information security.
The department offers popular Computer Camps for middle-school children every summer.
The department welcomes organizations or individuals (especially teachers and students from area K-12 schools) to visit our facilities. Please contact us for more information.