U.S News and World Report ranks the College of Engineering 137 in the country among doctorate granting universities, and UMass Dartmouth as a Tier1 national research university.
With a focus on our students and a commitment to providing an enriched educational environment, the College of Engineering creates and disseminates knowledge through research and teaching. We strive to meet the needs of the region and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts by preparing students to excel in their fields and to contribute to our changing world as thoughtful and responsible citizens.
A diverse community of exceptional faculty, students, and staff, the College has 6 academic departments, 8 programs, approximately 1,300 undergraduate students, and 300 graduate students. You can download the COE Fact Sheet.
Faculty at the leading edge of research
The College of Engineering faculty consists of 60 full-time professors with degrees from some of the most prestigious universities in the U.S. and abroad.
Our faculty members are involved in world-class research sponsored by national agencies and industry, with annual research expenditures of about $3 million, in areas such as:
- biomedical/healthcare engineering
- biomimetic and composite materials
- computational/data science
- energy/environmental engineering
- intelligent systems
- marine technologies
- wireless networks and communication
Commitment to student success
Our commitment to student success begins with our first-year programs, is sustained through excellent teaching and lab facilities, and culminates in opportunities to learn on the job, through research, and in capstone programs.
- Innovative first-year programs: Success begins with an integrated curriculum focused on the skills essential in all engineering disciplines
- Cooperative education & internships: Students explore career choices and gain meaningful on-the-job experience
- Exciting, real-world research: Opportunities for students to engage in research at both the graduate and undergraduate levels
- Capstone programs: Real-world, industry-specific challenges that demand analysis, proposals, prototypes, and solutions