Yanlai Chen, PhD
Liberal Arts 394A
|2002||University of Science and Technology of China||B.S.|
|2007||University of Minnesota Twin Cities||M.S.|
|2007||University of Minnesota Twin Cities||Ph.D.|
- Numerical algorithms
- Calculus, Differential equation
- Biomedical Engineering and Biotechnology MS, PhD
- Data Science BS, BS/MS
- Master's in Data Science MS
- Engineering and Applied Science PhD
- Mathematics BA, BS
A calculus-based introduction to statistics. This course covers probability and combinatorial problems, discrete and continuous random variables and various distributions including the binomial, Poisson, hypergeometric normal, gamma and chi-square. Moment generating functions, transformation and sampling distributions are studied.
Orthogonality and least square problems. Other topics include applications of eigenvalue, quadratic forms, Numerical Linear Algebra.
Theory and computer-oriented practice in obtaining numerical solutions of various problems. Topics include stability and conditioning, nonlinear equations, systems of linear equations, interpolation and approximation theory.
A special course to meet the needs of students for material not encountered in other courses. Topics dealt with require the approval of the departmental chairperson.
- Numerical Analysis, Scientific Computing, Computational Partial Differential Equations
- Dimension reduction, Model order reduction, Reduced order modeling
- Uncertainty quantification, Fractional-order partial differential equations
- Data mining, Machine Learning, Image Processing, Neural Networks
- High performance computing