Major in data science
Pursue your bachelor's degree in data science. At UMass Dartmouth, data science is an interdisciplinary major that integrates mathematics and computer science with disciplines such as business, engineering, healthcare, planning, science, and sociology.
Data scientists manage, mine, and analyze big data across multiple disciplines—and use computational thinking to gain new knowledge and solve real-world problems of high complexity.
As a data science major, you’ll build a strong foundation in information theory and in the methods and tools of mathematics and computer science. You’ll gain skills in complex problem solving, data-driven discovery, decision support, machine learning, predictive and visual analytics, and statistics.
You’ll be prepared for leadership positions in data analytics, discovery informatics, information management, and knowledge engineering. Businesses, government, healthcare, and the natural and social sciences need more data scientists to explore and explain complex information.
For the BS in data science, you'll complete 73 credit hours in courses within computer and information science and mathematics, and 120 credits overall.
Offered jointly by the computer science department and the mathematics department, the data science curriculum covers topics such as data visualization and matrix methods for data mining—as well as more traditional courses in computer and information science and mathematics.
- Capstone projects: most senior engineering students work in small teams on real-world, industry-specific challenges that demand analysis, proposals, prototypes, and solutions.
- Center for Scientific Computing & Visualization Research: Faculty and students collaborate on problems in science and engineering using high-performance computing.
- Internships & co-op: Gain hands-on experience that will be valuable to local, national, and global employers.
- IDEAStudio: Collaborate, create, and explore with state-of-the-art technology including a 3D scanner, 3D printer, and laser engraver.
Earn an advanced degree
- Accelerated BS/MS in Data Science: Make the most of your college career by earning both the BS and MS degrees. The program is designed for highly motivated students and offers greater flexibility in scheduling required courses.
- MS in Data Science: Prepare for career advancement within the field of data science with graduate study in contemporary techniques for managing, mining, and analyzing big data across multiple disciplines to solve complex problems.
- MS in Computer Science: Advanced study in theoretical computer science, computer systems, software engineering, parallel and distributed computing, and computer networks.
- PhD in Engineering & Applied Science: Emphasizes the interdisciplinary nature of modern research at the interfaces of engineering, the applied sciences, and technology.
- PhD in Mathematics Education: Prepares graduates for careers in education, scientific institutions, industries, and federal agencies.