Skip to main content.

Veterans Benefits Guidelines

GI Bill® Benefits Guidelines

How to apply for benefits

  • Log on to the veterans online application at the VA website
  • VA reviews application and issues letter  
  • Submit copy of letter to certifying official

 For new students

  • Send application to VA to start education benefits with VA form 22-1990
  • Apply to UMass Dartmouth for degree or certificate program
  • Provide certifying official with required documentation once approved for benefits
  • Contact certifying official when registered for class
  • Verify attendance with the VA monthly

Dependent/Chapter 35 students: Use VA forms 22-5490 or 22-5495

Transfer students: Use VA change form 11-1995              

UMassD required documentation

Designated chapter

Required document

Chapter 33

Certificate of eligibility & DD214

Chapter 30 or 1607

DD214 (Member 4)

Chapter 1606


Chapter 35

Letter of eligibility

For latest info on all chapters please visit VA benefits education.

Each semester

Be sure to notify the certifying official every semester once registered for classes in order to be certified for benefits with the VA.

All students (except for Chapter 33 & 35) must verify enrollment with the VA at end of each month at:

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs or call 877-823-2378

Benefit checks will not be issued if student fails to verify attendance each month. Please contact VA directly if you have not received your checks or have questions regarding your benefits at 888-442-4551.

More information

The Education Call Center is in Muskogee, Oklahoma, and Education Case Managers are available 7am to 7pm central time, Monday through Friday at 888-442-4551.

The system's automated functions can provide information about benefits, applications, etc., and are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  Individual veterans can access their own record to obtain date of last benefit payment, check amounts. Please utilize the automated system as much as possible.

Helpful sites

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Back to top of screen