Do you dream of working to cure illnesses, conserve species, or explore marine life? If so, biology is the major for you!
The Department of Biology uses our semi-rural campus and nearby coastal environments as living laboratories. We emphasize field and laboratory opportunities for our students to learn biology while studying living organisms. Our broad-based curriculum prepares our graduates for many career options including but not limited to:
- employment in industry and government
- professional programs in human and veterinary medicine
- graduate study in all aspects of biology
Our diverse curriculum provides students with a solid background in fundamental biological principles and practices. It also allows students to take courses geared toward their specific interests including:
- cell and molecular biology
- organismal biology
- ecology and evolution
- biology of marine organisms.
Our faculty engage in research at the forefront of their fields, providing students with unparalleled opportunities for research experiences. Particularly strong areas of focus encompass:
- marine biology
- ecological and evolutionary genetics
- integrative biology, in which we use diverse approaches to study the complexity of biological organisms.