A major or minor in French or Spanish provides students with the opportunity to develop their language proficiency while learning about varied Hispanic and Francophone cultures and civilizations. Majors and minors in Spanish and French are encouraged to double major in another field, such as Portuguese, history, economics, English, anthropology, political science, or nursing.
The programs of study for our majors and minors are built on interdisciplinary coursework in literature and cultures while also developing students' interactional and linguistic proficiency. The goal of the major is thus to provide an integrated learning experience for students in which each course weaves together language and culture within specific content offerings.
We strongly recommend that majors and minors consider a study abroad experience. Please see Study Abroad for more information.
Requirements for the Major in Spanish
- 30 credits total in SPA or FLL courses at the 300/400 level
- 27 of these credits must be in courses taught in Spanish
- SPA 301 and 302 are required as part of the 30 credits total
- Six credits in survey of literature are required as part of the 30 credits total
Requirements for the Major in French
- 30 credits total in FRN or FLL courses at the 300/400 level
- 27 of the 30 credits must be taken in courses taught in French
- FRN 301 and 302 are required as part of the 30 credits total
- FRN 331 and 332 (Survey of Literature) are required as part of the 30 credits total
Requirements for the Minor in French or Spanish
- FRN 301 and FRN 302 for French; SPA 301 and SPA 302 for Spanish
- 12 additional credits in FRN/SPA/FLL courses at the 300/400 level