Department of Bioengineering: mission, vision, and goals
The mission of the Bioengineering Department is to pursue excellence in learning, discovery, and innovation at the intersection of engineering and life science for the benefit of human health and well being.
To be an internationally recognized Bioengineering Department that offers inspiring educational opportunities for students, conducts interdisciplinary research with global impact on improving human health, and serves the bioengineering profession and the community with distinction.
The purpose of the Bioengineering program at UMass Dartmouth is to provide students with rigorous, multi-disciplinary training that enable graduates to be leaders and innovators in bioengineering and biomedical professions. This is accomplished by developing and offering curricula that integrate engineering sciences, life sciences, clinical medicine, research and engineering design in collaboration with local biomedical device and biotechnology companies.
The Bioengineering academic program goals are the following:
- To provide educational opportunities that are at the interface of engineering, life sciences, and medicine that provide a foundation for:
a) Advanced study in engineering, medicine, or the sciences
b) Professional practice as a bioengineer in industry , research and government agencies
c) Entrepreneurial endeavors in the biomedical/biotechnology industry
- To provide highly-trained professionals at the baccalaureate level who excel in the field of bioengineering and who are prepared to be future leaders in improving human health and quality of life;
- To increase the presence of women and underrepresented minorities in science and engineering careers;
- To support and enhance University-partnerships in the area of biomedical engineering with the UMass Medical School;
- To revitalize/broaden the biomaterials discipline within the bioengineering degree program to increase enrollment and degree production;
- To support economic/workforce development in biotechnology industries in Massachusetts.