Skip to main content.

After you're hired

File your FAFSA

File your FAFSA, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. 

Financial aid awards for fall 2024

This year (2024-2025 academic year) it will be easier for families to complete the FAFSA with the streamlined FAFSA application. The new FAFSA form is now available. UMassD anticipates sending award letters in late spring.

No student may work more than eight hours per day or twenty hours per week when school is in session for one or any combination of departments. There are no exceptions. The eight hours per day or twenty hour per week limit applies only during the academic year employment periods. The average student works four to six hours per week, depending on the requirements of the position.

Students employed through Federal Work-Study (FWS) are allowed to work more than one job, but only one job through FWS.

When school is not in session, students may work eight hours per day or forty hours per week (maximum).

Stipend-based positions: These positions have hours associated with them, even though they are not based on hourly wages. A stipend is payment for work performed, and therefore must be viewed as part of the twenty-hour limit for when school is in session and, for international student, as considered by Department of Homeland Security regulations.

Graduate students with assistantships that are full-time commitments (that is, twenty hours when school is in session) are not allowed to work additional jobs on campus.

If you are an hourly student employee, you must enter your hours to HR Direct on a weekly basis by noon every Friday so that your biweekly paycheck will be available. We recommend that you let your supervisor know (in person or by email) once you've entered your time.

If you do not have access to HR Direct, contact Human Resources.

You must enter your hours accurately. The university will not tolerate the fraudulent entering of hours. Falsifying hours is considered a federal offense and is punishable by law, and could result in your ineligibility to receive government funds and/or in your dismissal from the university.

You will not be paid on time unless your hours are entered on time and affirmatively approved by your supervisor, in accordance with Human Resources deadlines.

Tutorials for using HR Direct

We recommend that you use direct deposit, which can be set up via HR Direct. Please note that if you do not use direct deposit, a paper check will be mailed to your on-campus mailbox, if one is on file in COIN, or otherwise to your local home address. Be sure to keep your address current in COIN.

If you are an active, employed student, you can view your pay stub in HR Direct. If you do receive a paycheck, contact Payroll.

We follow the same procedure for mailing W-2 forms as for paychecks (see above).  Be sure to keep your address current in COIN. If you are an active, employed student, you can view your W-2 in HR Direct.

During summer employment (when you are not enrolled at least half-time in classes), you are considered a non-benefited employee and are subject to mandatory retirement withholdings, called OBRA.

Students may be exempt from contributing to OBRA and the Medicare portion of FICA. To qualify for the exemption, the student employee must meet BOTH of the following criteria:

  • Must be currently enrolled for a minimum of 6 credits.
  • Is not working full-time (37.50 hours per week).

More info. 

Student name changes must be processed with the Registrar’s Office and will be applied in COIN. A new Form I-9 and original IDs must be submitted to Student Employment in person. 

UMass Dartmouth is committed to the privacy of individuals and the confidentiality of records. As an employee, you have the responsibility for making sure that this commitment is upheld. If you have been given information in confidence or have been authorized to secure sensitive information, you are entrusted with maintaining the confidentiality of that material. Breeches of confidentiality may be subject to corrective action.

  • Acceptance of Federal Work-Study or non-work-study employment carries all the responsibilities and commitments of any other employment situation. You are expected to be dependable and considerate of your employer and to perform your tasks to the best of your ability.
  • Work hours must be scheduled so they will not conflict with any of your academic responsibilities. However, you are expected to be dependable and consistently work the hours expected of you. If you are sick or unable to work, please inform your supervisor as soon as possible.
  • Deliberate falsification of hours worked, or other employment records is considered a federal offense and is punishable by law. The hours for which you receive compensation are subject to federal audit.
  • If you are injured on the job, report the incident to your immediate supervisor or the supervisory person in charge at the time.
  • If you are unhappy with your employment position, or working conditions, or if you wish to terminate your job, you should first discuss the circumstances with your supervisor. If you and your supervisor are not able to resolve the issue, consult the Student Employment Office. The staff is here to assist you with your employment experiences.
  • Federal Work-Study is not automatically renewed. You must apply each year by the required deadlines for renewal of financial aid, which includes Federal Work-Study.

We recommend that all student employees be given an evaluation of their performance at the end of each semester. The primary purpose of a performance evaluation is to provide communication between you and your supervisor concerning all aspects of your job.

You may occasionally encounter situations at work that are difficult or frustrating to resolve, such as:

  • problems with peers, co-workers, your supervisor, or the public
  • feeling like you are not being treated fairly
  • feeling harassed or discriminated against
  • coping with the stress of juggling school, family, friends, and work

Talk to your supervisor: Whether your direct supervisor is a student employee or a department employee, you should first speak with your supervisor to see if the problem can be dealt with directly. You may be pleasantly surprised to learn that misunderstandings can sometimes be easily explained or corrected before a situation gets out of hand.

Talk to the Student Employment Office: If talking to your supervisor has not been helpful or if your supervisor is a part of the problem, contact Student Employment. The staff will know how to approach the problem and can help you develop strategies to find a resolution to a difficult situation. Some workplace behavior may violate the Code of Student Conduct. To learn more about the judicial process for students, contact the Office of Student Life at 508.999.9205.

CORSAIR Jobs @ myUMassD

There are three types of employment termination

  1. voluntary termination
  2. temporary release, and
  3. involuntary termination.

Voluntary Termination

You usually initiate a voluntary termination by giving your supervisor two weeks notice.

Temporary Release

You must act in a professional manner, particularly concerning confidentiality of university and student records as well as information that comes to you by virtue of your work. You may be temporarily released from your position for breach of confidentiality, theft of equipment or personal property, gross insubordination, or any other acts of gross misconduct deemed detrimental to the operation of the employing department.

Employers who temporarily release an employee are required to both notify the Student Employment Office and follow either (a) or (b) below:

  1. In instances of gross insubordination, the supervisor informs you in writing that you are being released. Student Employment will review the temporary release and determine the appropriateness of converting the release to an involuntary termination.
  2. In the event that the misconduct constitutes a violation of community standards or policies published in the Code of Student Conduct, your supervisor files a complaint with the Division of Student Affairs for possible referral to the Student Judicial System. Your temporary release will automatically become an involuntary termination.

Involuntary Termination

An involuntary termination is initiated by the employer due to your unsatisfactory performance in your position due to your inability to comply with university and/or office rules and regulations. Employers who terminate students for just cause are required to:

  1. Give the employee a verbal warning documented with a memo to the Student Employment Office.
  2. Give the employee a second warning in writing with a copy to Student Employment.
  3. Give the employee a termination note with a copy to Student Employment. If you are involuntarily terminated, you will receive consideration for jobs only after all other students have been placed.