MAT for Pre-Service Teachers
The Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) Pre-Service track is designed for students who are entering the field with little or no teaching experience. Students will earn a master’s degree in teaching and a Sheltered English Immersion (SEI) endorsement at program completion. Initial licensure is obtained through an employment-based practicum outside of the program. Students pursuing this option will apply to the MAT Non-Licensure track and follow the course sequence below.
- EDU 510 Psychological and Social Foundations of Education
- EDU 511 Culturally Relevant Curriculum and Instruction (Co-requisite: EDU 536 Field-Based Experience 1, 30 hours)
- EDU 512 Integrated Classroom Practices for Preservice Teachers 2 (Co-requisite: EDU 537 Field-Based Experience 2, 30 hours)
- EDU 525 Critical Literacies
- EDU 547 Introduction to Special Education
- EDU 552 Sheltered English Immersion (Field Based Experience 3, 30 hours)
- EDU 601 Sociocultural and Political Contexts of Education
- EDU 602 Inquiry and Research
Content Methods Course - choose one: ENL 549 English, HST 501 History, FLL 524 Foreign Language, MTE 502 Math, or SCI 541 Science
Elective: Graduate-level Content or EDU Course
Special Education Add-On License Option
- EDU 548 Classroom Management for Mildly and Moderately Disabled Students
- EDU 549 Diagnostic and Remedial Assessment for Mildly and Moderately Disabled Students
Teaching English as a Second Language Concentration
- EDU 651* Language, Culture & Linguistics
- EDU 652* Current Sociolinguistic Issues in TESOL
- EDU 653 Theories of Language Acquisition - Implications for Instruction
- EDU 654 Field Experience: Methods & Materials for Language
*EDU651 and EDU 652 replace content methods and content courses.
Non-degree students: Students may take up to 6 credits prior to acceptance to the program, however to be eligible for financial aid, students must be matriculated. Non-degree students may obtain permission to enter courses by contacting Traci Almeida, Graduate Admissions Coordinator: 508.999.8098 or email@example.com
GPA requirements: Candidates must maintain a B average in all EDU courses. No grade less than a B- will be accepted. Additionally, the University requires that all graduate students maintain a 3.0 or higher grade point average.