Skip to main content.

Teaching MAT

In Massachusetts, teachers need to earn their Professional Licensure after they’ve taught for 5 years in a public school. A Professional Licensure helps you deepen your content knowledge and strengthen your teaching practices. 

Our MAT-Professional Licensure program combines five advanced pedagogy courses along with five content courses, and has the flexibility to allow you to earn credit toward licensure in Special Education or English as a Second Language

For students who have already earned their masters degree, we offer the opportunity to advance your teaching license. Our program provides you with the content courses needed to earn a Professional Licensure. Students are eligible for their professional licensure if they:

  • hold an Initial license from another institution
  • have obtained an Initial license through a district-based program
  • have same area and level as Initial License

We award a limited number of graduate assistantships and tuition credit to qualified graduate students each year. This award is subject to the work needs of the position and department, your satisfactory performance of duties, your academic record, and availability of funds, and may be subject to change. 

Changes to Graduate Studies admission requirements

In response to the COVID‐19 pandemic, admission requirements for graduate degree and certificate programs may have changed.
Learn more about changes to requirements

  • Bachelor’s degree in content area or closely related field from an accredited university with a minimum of a 3.0 GPA. 
  • Completed application for the master’s degree program (MAT).
  • Personal statement describing your beliefs about teaching and learning and why you have chosen teaching as a profession.
  • Two letters of recommendation from someone who can attest to your ability/potential as a teacher. 
  • Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions.
  • Copies of MTEL score reports Communication and Literacy (01) and content area.
  • Resume.
  • Copy of Preliminary License or Initial License (if applicable).

Non-licensure requirements

  • Copy of Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure (MTEL), or scores from one nationally normed test (GRE, GMAT, any MTEL, etc)
  • 2 letters of recommendation 

Professional licensure requirements

  • Proof of initial licensure
  • 2 letters of recommendation

Deadlines and Test Requirements

Explore more about Teaching

Course Catalog

See course schedules and requirements.


Visit us virtually

Visit us from anywhere, at any time.
Take a virtual tour of the UMass Dartmouth campus.