Enrollment in the 4+1 Teacher Preparation program allows undergraduate students to begin the education coursework towards a master’s degree in teaching (MAT) as early as the sophomore year.
This program is for students who have completed 30 credits and have a GPA of 3.0 overall and a 3.0 in their content area (major).
4+1 BA/BS-MAT: a fast track to teaching
Students may enroll in up to 15 credits of graduate-level education courses in place of 5 free electives in their undergraduate program. Students enrolled in the 4+1 pathway will complete a series of field experiences within local schools in preparation for employment. These 5 courses are transferred directly to a master’s degree upon graduation.
Half of the master's degree is completed as an undergraduate, significantly reducing the time and costs associated with earning a graduate degree.
Students pursuing teacher preparation at UMassD will graduate with a bachelor’s degree in the major, a master’s degree in teaching (MAT), and a Sheltered English Immersion endorsement.
Candidates can apply for Provisional Licensure and begin teaching upon completion of their bachelor’s degree. Students may devote their full time efforts to completing the MAT program during the graduate year or they may enter full-time employment as a teacher in a school right out of college, and complete the remainder of the MAT coursework part time.
Provisional licenses are valid for 5 years of employment. While employed as a teacher, candidates will advance from Provisional to Initial Licensure through an in-district practicum, known as the Performance Review Program for Initial Licensure (PRPIL).
Students from the following majors are invited to apply to the 4+1 program in Teaching:
- Liberal Arts
4+1 BA-BS/MAT Courses
Middle/Secondary - up to 15 credits
- EDU 510 Psychological and Social Foundations of Education
- EDU 511 Culturally Responsive Curriculum and Instruction
- EDU 512 Teaching and Managing Inclusive Classrooms
- EDU 525 Critical Literacies
- EDU 552 Sheltered English Immersion
Apply to the 4+1 BA/BS-MAT
- a completed BA/BS-MAT application
- an unofficial copy of your transcript
To: Traci Almeida, Coordinator of Graduate Admissions & Licensure, School of Education, Liberal Arts Building, Office 373.
- Students must be admitted to the 4+1 BA/BS-MAT program to register for EDU courses.
- Students should submit an application for the MAT program to Graduate Studies during their final undergraduate semester.
- Students will need to pass both the Communication and Literacy Skills (Test 01) and Content MTEL’s exams before or during their final semester of undergraduate study for Provisional Licensure.