Psychology is the scientific exploration of human behavior. Our curriculum offers a broad introduction to this dynamic and diverse field, with an emphasis on the understanding and design of research. You'll also investigate psychology's subfields through courses that consider:
- our biological heritage: physiological psychology, perception
- basic human functioning: cognition, learning, personality, social
- applied fields: counseling, behavior modification, organizational psychology, community psychology
You'll work with faculty who:
- study the theoretical, such as hemispheric specialization within the brain, and semantic processing of memory
- conduct applied research, such as the control of obesity, chronic pain, and stress
- are leaders in the mental health community and bring their expertise to the classroom
The study of human behavior can prepare you for many different careers, from business to education and the social sciences. Psychology graduates work in fields such as human resources, software and product development, and communications. Further education will open paths toward research and clinical practice.
Kristina Monteiro '10 '12 earned her PhD and begins career at Brown University as an assistant professor.
For the BA in psychology, you'll complete at least 34 credit hours in courses related to your major, and 120 credits overall.
If you are interested in a career in counseling, you can take the 3-course counseling sequence, which introduces the applied aspects of psychology.
If you are interested in research and considering graduate study in psychology, you'll have the opportunity to pursue honors research or independent study.
Advance your career with graduate studies
- BA/MA Program: Our BA/MA fast-track program enables qualified students to complete both the BA and the MA in Research Psychology, in 5 rather than 6 years.
- MA in Research Psychology: The department offers a graduate program leading to an MA in Psychology, with options in clinical psychology, research psychology, and applied behavior analysis.
- Behavior Analyst Certificate Program:We also offer a 2 year post-master's program: the Behavior Analyst Certificate Program. Course content is approved by the Behavior Analyst Certification Board® and meets the requirement to sit for the BACB® exam.