Concentration in creative & professional writing
The English department offers a bachelor of arts degree in English with a concentration in creative & professional writing.
Creative & professional writing candidates demonstrate their ability to analyze context and rhetorical problems with awareness of cultural diversity to create and compose effective, well-formulated written communication for specific audiences across multiple modalities.
Areas of study in this concentration include: fiction; non-fiction; poetry; journalism; digital media production; script, drama, and screenwriting; professional writing; and technical writing.
Creative & professional writing learning outcomes:
- Write and compose original texts
- Apply key concepts in writing analytically, creatively, and professionally across multiple genres and modes based on audience needs and information design principles
- Identify and summarize foundational concepts in creative writing, literary studies, and rhetorical studies
- Understand and apply concepts and ideas related to issues of diversity such as race, class, sexuality, gender, ethnicity and others to texts across multiple genres and modes
- Analyze the compositional and rhetorical strategies used in texts across multiple genres and modes
- Synthesize primary and secondary sources using appropriate research and writing methods across genres and modes
- Evaluate the appropriateness of compositional and rhetorical strategies used in texts
- Honors College: take advanced courses, pursue research, and be part of a community of scholars
- Study Abroad: earn academic credits and gain a global perspective on your field
- Undergraduate Research: faculty work with students on cutting-edge research projects
- University Studies: gain the benefit of a broad university education to enhance your knowledge and skills