Writing, Rhetoric & Communication
Enhance your studies with skills and knowledge in writing and communication by choosing the writing, rhetoric & communication minor.
You'll learn how to:
- read and think critically
- write with style and conviction
- develop strong research and organizational skills
- communicate effectively through written and oral presentations
- utilize traditional and digital media
Our award-winning faculty members specialize in a wide and diverse range of fields such as creative nonfiction, composition and rhetoric, fiction, technical writing, and many more.
The skills you'll develop as an English & Communication minor are essential in today's competitive job market and can lead to rewarding careers in communications, editing, journalism, public relations, social media, technical writing, web publishing, writing for general and specialized audiences, and many other areas. You'll also be prepared for graduate study across many disciplines, such as creative and professional writing, education, law, and library/information science.
- Publish your work in Corridors, an e-journal of student essays; Dart, a pop-culture magazine; or Temper, a literary review
- Pursue internships in communications, editing, journalism, professional writing, publishing, and more
- Join the Literary Society, write for The Torch student newspaper, or DJ on WUMD 89.3FM
Expand your opportunities
- Accelerated Master's programs: Earn your master's degree with only one additional year of study. Juniors and seniors are eligible to apply.
- MA in Professional Writing & Communication: Develop your professional skills in diverse areas of writing such as technical writing, web authoring, journalism, public relations, and creative writing.
- Graduate certificate in Professional Writing & Communication: Develop professional writing skills that focus on specific settings, situations, and communities.