French is a language rich in literary and cultural traditions. An official language in 29 countries, for all United Nations agencies, and for the European Union, French remains one of the top three most useful languages for business.
Gain proficiency in French with a minor and improve your career opportunities. No matter what your field—business, science, psychology, public policy, or the arts—a French minor complements your area of specialty and gives you a competitive edge in the marketplace.
*UMass Dartmouth has currently paused new admissions to the French major. French will continue to be offered as a minor. Please check back on this page for updates on the status of the program.
- Study abroad: immerse yourself in French language and culture with a semester in France, Quebec, or another French-speaking area
- Internships and independent study: gain experience or investigate a specialized area of study
- Community: join the French Club or our chapter of Pi Delta Phi, the National French Honor Society
- Honor Society: earn a place in our chapter of Pi Delta Phi, the National French Honor Society
- Honors College: take advanced courses, pursue research, and be part of a community of scholars
- Study Abroad: earn academic credits and gain a global perspective on your field
- Undergraduate Research: faculty work with students on cutting-edge research projects
- University Studies: gain the benefit of a broad university education to enhance your knowledge and skills