Do you dream of exploring the ocean environment, conserving species, and understanding the complexity of marine organisms?
UMass Dartmouth's Biology department offers a bachelor's degree in biology with an option in marine biology.
When you major in marine biology at UMass Dartmouth, you begin your studies with a solid foundation in fundamental biological principles and practices. Then you'll focus on your specific interests, from the biology of sharks and fishes to marine ecology.
Our faculty's research interests in marine and coastal biology place them at the forefront of their fields, from molecular and cellular biology to marine and terrestrial ecology.
We emphasize field and laboratory opportunities, so you will learn marine biology while studying living organisms. Our nearby coastal environments will be your living laboratories.
You'll be prepared for employment in biological oceanography, ecology, education, fisheries biology, industry, marine biology, project management, and research fields. With a strong background in fundamental biological principles and practices, you'll be prepared for graduate study in marine biology and related disciplines.
Our curriculum emphasizes a diversity of ecological and evolutionary approaches including the study of fishes, invertebrates, marine mammals, marine microbiology, and oceanography.
For the major, you'll take courses in biology, marine biology and related science and mathematics courses, which totals 120 credits.
- Internships: gain hands-on experience at ocean and environmental centers, the region's zoo, and faculty research labs
- Travel: participate in one of our expeditions to the Galapagos Islands
- Community: join the Biology Association and attend special events for biology majors
- Honors College: take advanced courses, pursue research, and be part of a community of scholars
- Study Abroad: earn academic credits and gain a global perspective on your field
- Undergraduate Research: faculty work with students on cutting-edge research projects
- University Studies: gain the benefit of a broad university education to enhance your knowledge and skills
- MS in Biology/Marine Biology: Our master's program offers degrees in biology and marine biology
- PhD in Marine Science: Earn your advanced degree in marine science in the UMass intercampus Marine Science doctoral program
- PhD in Biomedical Engineering & Biotechnology: Advance your studies at the intersection of biology and engineering in the UMass intercampus Biomedical Engineering and Biotechnology PhD program