Medical laboratory science strives to answer medical questions and solve medical mysteries. When you major in medical laboratory science, you'll learn to analyze parts of the body, such as cells, blood, and tissues, to determine both the causes of diseases and the appropriate treatments.
Medical Laboratory/Clinical Laboratory Science
Our comprehensive program, which is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences, is one of the top three in the country, with rankings for the best program and student labs east of the Mississippi River. As the largest program in the nation, we’ve won more awards from the American Society of Clinical Laboratory Sciences than any other institution.
Your training will prepare you to become an integral part of any health care team. You'll be qualified to work in numerous environments including hospitals, physicians' labs, specialty laboratories, health agencies, and blood banks, as well as in fields such as molecular biology, toxicology, medical research, and pharmaceuticals. You'll also be ready for graduate studies in areas including medicine, public health, and hospital laboratory management.
Our curriculum focuses on the standard clinical laboratory disciplines of clinical chemistry, hematology, urinalysis, microbiology, immunology, and blood banking. Our program will also help prepare you for medical school and other professional and graduate programs of study.
- Practicum: fulfill 1-2 semesters of practicum in area clinical settings or at biotechnology industrial sites
- Technology: learn to use state-of-the-art equipment including spectrophotometers, computer controlled semi-automated chemistry analyzers, urinalysis instruments, hematology cell counters, and rapid microorganism identification instruments
- Community: participate in the Student Association for Medical Laboratory Science and the Pre-Health Club
Advance your career with graduate studies
- MS in Biomedical Engineering and Biotechnology: Advance your career by earning your master's degree at UMassD in biomedical engineering and biotechnology (BMEBT).
- Post-baccalaureate certificates: We offer individualized programs of study for students with bachelor's degrees in non-science related majors who wish to fulfill the course requirements for professional school admission (dental, medical, and veterinary school programs).