Complete your degree at UMassD
The UMass Dartmouth College of Nursing & Health Sciences offers an online BS in Medical Laboratory Science (MLS) - Clinical for students who hold an associate's degree in Medical Laboratory Technology (MLT) from an NAACLS accredited institution.
This degree-completion program is for professionals employed in the field and provides an in-depth study of medical laboratory science. Of the 120 total credits required, 45 MLS course credits must be taken at UMass Dartmouth.
In addition to the 45 online MLS course credits you will take at UMass Dartmouth, you will complete an internship that is dependent upon clinical work experience.
This part-time, cohort-based program is designed to be completed in 24 months of continued enrollment. This program is a Spring start only.
Students who successfully complete the program will be qualified to sit for the ASCP BOC MLS generalist exam.
Sample Course Offerings
Examples of required Medical Laboratory Science courses include (course offerings subject to change):
- Microbiology (including virology, mycology, bacteriology, and parasitology)
- Clinical Chemistry
Medical Laboratory Scientists have expanded career options including:
- Graduate study
- Additional opportunities at your place of employment—including the ability to work in specialty testing areas
UMass Dartmouth Advantages
- Value and affordability of a UMass education
- Generous transfer policy
- One-on-one personal advising from enrollment through graduation
- Military friendly, with leading practices in the recruitment and retention of students with military experience
- Free online and in-person tutoring and writing center
Learning Style: Online
Online courses are taught by UMass Dartmouth faculty to provide high quality instruction and personal attention. Students have the flexibility to accommodate work and home responsibilities within the structure of defined assignment due dates.
Medical Laboratory Science BS degree applicants must:
- Hold an associates degree from an NAACLS-accredited CLT/MLT program, or equivalent coursework, and ASCP CLT/MLT certification
- Submit proof of current ASCP certification
- Have a minimum of 18 months of full-time work experience, or part-time equivalent, currently working as a MLT in a clinical lab setting
- Provide the Statement of Support and the Clinical Facility Fact Sheet completed by a current employer or practicum site that indicates agreement to support your clinical experience
- Have earned a GPA of 3.0 or better in your original MLT degree progam
- Submit official transcripts from all schools attended
- Submit an updated resume