Advance your education at UMassD
The UMass Dartmouth Women’s and Gender Studies undergraduate certificate program examines the varying influences upon the lives of men and women of factors including race, class, ethnicity, gender, sex, sexuality, and age.
Eligible students have earned a high school diploma.
This certificate program is offered 100% online.
UMass Dartmouth Women’s and Gender Studies certificate program students must complete 18 credits to receive the certificate.
WGS 101: Introduction to Women’s and Gender Studies
WGS 201: Introduction to Feminist Theory
One upper-level feminist theory course—choose from
WGS 302 Global Feminism
WGS 305 Contemporary Feminist Theory
WGS 306 Third Wave Feminism
WGS 307 Ecofeminism
1. One 300-level WGS elective in Humanities such as Art History, Philosophy, English or History (other courses may also count, depending on the topic)
2. One 300-level WGS elective in Social Science, cross-listed with subjects such as Political Science, Sociology/Anthropology, Crime & Justice Studies, Economics, Sustainability or Black Studies (other courses may also count, depending on the topic)
3. One 200-or 300-level WGS elective in Humanities or Social Sciences
Acceptable courses include courses in categories 1 or 2 above, which may also be at the 200-level (WGS 300: Topics in Women’s and Gender Studies, WGS 200: Topics in Women’s and Gender Studies, and WGS 210: Special Topics in Women’s and Gender Studies courses may also count, depending on the topic)
Sample Course Offerings
Examples of courses offered in the Women’s and Gender Studies certificate program include (course offerings subject to change):
- Intro to Women’s and Gender Studies
- Introduction to Feminist Theory
- Contemporary Feminist Theory
- Global Feminism
Customize your education and receive the help and guidance to finish as planned:
- Value and affordability of a UMass education
- One-on-one personal advising from enrollment through graduation
- Military friendly, with leading practices in the recruitment and retention of students with military experience
- Free online and in-person tutoring and writing center
- Honors College: take advanced courses, pursue research, and be part of a community of scholars
- Study Abroad: earn academic credits and gain a global perspective on your field
- Undergraduate Research: faculty work with students on cutting-edge research projects
- University Studies: gain the benefit of a broad university education to enhance your knowledge and skills
Learning Style: Online
Online courses are taught by UMass Dartmouth faculty to provide high-quality instruction and personal attention. Students have the flexibility to accommodate work and home responsibilities within the structure of defined assignment due dates.