Computer Science Online
Advance your education at UMassD
The UMass Dartmouth Computer Science Graduate Certificate provides students who have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering with advanced knowledge of selected areas of modern computing—including but not limited to:
- intelligent information systems
- parallel and distributed computing systems
- computer networks
- software engineering
Students will also gain an understanding of new advances in the discipline of computing such as:
- neural and evolutionary computing
- image processing
- data science
Successful completion of this certificate program waives the GRE requirement for applicants to the Master of Science in Computer Science (MSCS) program.
Students accepted into the UMass Dartmouth MSCS program will receive credit for each certificate class with a grade of B or higher.
For students with BS degrees in fields other than Computer Science or Computer Engineering, we offer 4 online foundation courses in computer science fundamentals.
- CIS 115 Computer Programming with C
- CIS 183 Object-Oriented Programming with Java
- CIS 322 Data Structures and Fundamental Algorithms
- CIS 323 Fundamentals of Computer Systems
Many students complete these foundation courses within one year.
Review the admission process for the Computer Science certificate program. Additional materials required
- College transcripts
- Statement of purpose (1- to 2-page essay)
To earn their certificate, UMass Dartmouth Computer Science certificate program students must complete 15 credits.
Choose 2 core courses from:
- CIS 522 - Algorithms and Complexity
- CIS 560 - Theoretical Computer Science
- CIS 570 - Advanced Computer Systems
- CIS 580 - Paradigmatic Software Development
Choose any three (3) CIS 500/600 level courses.
Customize your education and receive the help and guidance to finish as planned:
- Value and affordability of a UMass education
- One-on-one personal advising from enrollment through graduation
- Free online and in-person tutoring and writing center
Learning Style: Online
Online courses are taught by UMass Dartmouth faculty to provide high quality instruction and personal attention. Students have the flexibility to accommodate work and home responsibilities within the structure of defined assignment due dates. The majority of our online courses are taught asynchronously.