Complete your degree at UMassD
The UMass Dartmouth Bachelor of Political Science degree provides students the opportunity to develop an understanding of political institutions and processes in a global community. This program prepares students for careers in law, business, international associations, government, and non-profit organizations.
UMass Dartmouth Bachelor of Political Science students must complete 120 credits to graduate.
With our generous transfer policy, students with existing credits may transfer up to 75 credits from a regionally accredited institution.
Students must complete a 3-credit internship as part of the course work. The internship institution/location may be selected by the student and must be approved by the political science department.
Political Science degree students:
- Develop research skills
- Access, understand and synthesize professional and popular writing on public affairs
- Formulate and analyze arguments
- Assess the relevance and weight of evidence
- Organize their ideas into focused papers and presentations
Through this course of study, students learn to read critically, write clearly, and communicate effectively through argument, analysis, exposition, and oral presentation.
We offer a concentration within our major geared towards preparing you for law school. You'll focus on courses with an emphasis on law and the courts, in both the U.S. political system and international political systems.
For the concentration, you'll complete 39 credit hours, and 120 credit hours overall.
Sample Course Offerings
Examples of Political Science degree courses offered include (course offerings subject to change):
- Public Policy in America
- Constitutional Law
- Civil Liberties and Rights
- Political Parties and Interest Groups
- Women and Public Policy
- Public Administration
Graduates have a solid foundation for pursuing a variety of careers or advanced degrees in fields including:
- Non-profit organizations
- International associations
UMass Dartmouth advanced degrees
UMass Dartmouth Advantages
Customize your education and receive the help and guidance to finish as planned:
- UMassD online bachelor’s degree program ranked #7 in the nation by College Choice for most affordable online colleges
- Value and affordability of a UMass education
- Generous transfer policy
- One-on-one personal advising from enrollment through graduation
- Free online and in-person tutoring and writing center
Learning Style: Online
Online courses are taught by UMass Dartmouth faculty to provide high quality instruction and personal attention. Students have the flexibility to accommodate work and home responsibilities within the structure of defined assignment due dates.