Earn a certificate of advanced graduate study online
Nurses who earn the Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study (CAGS) at UMass Dartmouth will have completed the required coursework and clinical experiences for certification as Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioners (PMHNP) by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC).
In this online program, you will be prepared to diagnose and treat acute and chronic mental health conditions. You will gain knowledge and competence in providing psychotherapy and prescribing medications for patients across the lifespan. This PMHNP preparation and certification greatly expands your scope of practice and role opportunities in mental health/psychiatric care.
Learning Style: Online
Online courses are taught by UMass Dartmouth faculty and seasoned practitioners to provide high quality instruction and personal attention. Students have the flexibility to accommodate work and home responsibilities within the structure of defined assignment due dates.
- NUR 564 Advanced Practice Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing I (2 cr)
- NUR 565 Advanced Practice Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing I - Practicum (3 cr )
- NUR 554 Neuropsychopharmacology and Biologically Based Treatments (3 cr)
- NUR 676 Advanced Practice Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing II (2 cr)
- NUR 677 Advanced Practice Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing II - Practicum (3 cr )
- NUR 678 Advanced Practice Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing III (2 cr)
- NUR 679 Advanced Practice Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing III - Practicum (3 cr )
Customize your education and receive the help and guidance to finish as planned:
- Value and affordability of a UMass education
- One-on-one personal advising from enrollment through graduation
- Military friendly, with leading practices in the recruitment and retention of students with military experience
- Limited class size ensures individualized interaction with professors
Applicants to the CAGS program must:
- have either a master’s or doctoral degree in nursing
- provide evidence of the following graduate level coursework
- advanced pathophysiology
- advanced pharmacology
- physical assessment across the lifespan
- submit a 1-2 page statement of purpose
- submit resume
- submit official college transcripts
- Copy of active unencumbered RN license
- Submit three references that document competence and leadership in professional nursing practice. If possible, one reference should be from a supervisor who is a professional nurse that holds a DNP and one from a nurse educator.
Pending a review of applicants’ prior coursework and with advising, these courses also may be taken as pre-requisites to the CAGS course plan.