Earn a second degree with our Accelerated BS in Nursing at UMassD
The UMass Dartmouth College of Nursing & Health Sciences offers an accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing for students already holding a bachelor’s degree in another discipline from a regionally accredited institution. The program offers online classes complemented by face-to-face lab and clinical experiences. This is a full-time program and prepares students for the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN).
The second-degree accelerated BS in Nursing program is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) and is in good standing with the Massachusetts Board of Registered Nursing.
UMass Dartmouth second-degree accelerated BS in Nursing students must complete 5 prerequisite courses and then 59 credits to graduate. This is a full-time program and can be completed in 17 months. Prerequisite courses may be completed either at UMass Dartmouth or another accredited institution before enrolling in the program and students must have a minimum 3.2 overall GPA in these courses.
The accelerated second-degree BS in Nursing program combines online course work and hands-on experience, including face-to-face lab and clinical experiences to prepare students for a career in today’s healthcare environment. Clinical and lab rotations are offered in various healthcare institutions around Massachusetts.
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be eligible to take the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN).
For 2020 graduates of the program, there was an 95% pass rate on the NCLEX, the national licensure exam.
Sample Second-Degree Nursing Courses
- Intro to Professional Nursing
- Pathophysiology & Pharmacology
- Care of Adults with Acute and Chronic Illness
- Community Health Nursing
- Family Health
- Psychiatric/Mental Health
UMass Dartmouth advanced degrees
- MS Nursing
- Nursing PhD
UMass Dartmouth Advantages
Customize your education and receive the help and guidance to finish as planned:
- UMassD rated #4 in Massachusetts for online bachelor’s programs, #6 in New England, and #70 nationwide, by U.S. News & World Report
- UMassD online RN to BS in Nursing ranks in the Top 50 in the nation by College Choice
- Value and affordability of a UMass education
- Generous transfer policy
- One-on-one personal advising from enrollment through graduation
- Faculty-directed independent study in clinical community nursing
- Free online and in person tutoring and writing center
- Honors College: take advanced courses, pursue research, and be part of a community of scholars
- Study Abroad: earn academic credits and gain a global perspective on your field
- Undergraduate Research: faculty work with students on cutting-edge research projects
- University Studies: gain the benefit of a broad university education to enhance your knowledge and skills
The priority deadline is February 15. All fully complete applications (including meeting all prerequisite course requirements) will be given priority review status. Applications received and/or completed after that date may be reviewed at the discretion of the Department of Nursing and Health Sciences.
This program is not eligible for tuition waivers or credits.
Students interested in the Second-Degree Accelerated BS program can have a bachelor’s degree in any field—it does not need to be a science field. The first Bachelor’s degree must be from an accredited college or university.
The following requirements are in place starting with the Fall 2021:
- GPA of 3.0 or better for your original degree.
- Submit official transcripts from all accredited colleges or universities for which you enrolled in courses.
- All 5 prerequisite courses must be completed before enrolling in the program. (You may submit an application while working to complete missing prerequisite courses.)
- For the following prerequisites, a GPA of 3.2 and no grade below a C+:
- Anatomy & Physiology I with lab—4 credits (Online version of this course will be accepted at this time)**
- Anatomy & Physiology II with lab—4 credits (Online version of this course will be accepted at this time)**
- Chemistry—3 credits
- Microbiology with lab—4 credits (Online version of this course will be accepted at this time)**
- Introduction/Basic Statistics—3 credits
- 3 letters of recommendation
- All letters must be professional references and at least one must be an academic reference
- A statement of purpose in which you outline your reasons for pursuing a career in nursing; your skills and strengths which will help you succeed in this accelerated program; and what challenges you anticipate (maximum 600 words).
- A professional resume
- TEAS test scores are required for all students
- A TOEFL score is required if you do not hold an undergraduate degree from U.S. higher education institution
**Due to the impact on higher education from current events, the ABSN program will accept online lab courses for students who are completing prerequisites during the following semesters: Summer 2020, Fall 2020, Spring 2021 and Summer 2021. However, it is encouraged, if possible, to take the labs face-to-face.