Complete your degree or earn all 120 credits for your degree at UMassD
The UMass Dartmouth bachelor's degree program in History emphasizes the development of critical thinking, communication skills and historical perspective and prepares students for a wide range of careers.
Earn a bachelor’s degree at UMassD or complete your degree at UMassD if you already have some college credits. The program is 100% online.
UMass Dartmouth History students must complete 120 credits to graduate.
With our generous transfer policy, students with existing credits may transfer up to 75 credits from a regionally accredited institution.
In addition to core introductory history courses and Critical Skills for the History Major, BA in History students must complete 27 credit hours of history courses above the 100 level including:
- 6 credits in U.S. History
- 6 credits in European History
- 6 credits in "other" history, such as Latin America, Asia, Near East, Africa, Ancient
- 3 credits in a history seminar
- 6 credits of history electives
Sample Course Offerings
Examples of courses offered in the History program include (course offerings subject to change):
- History of Western Civilization
- World History
- American Colonial History
- The Reformation
- Empires of Central Asia
Graduates have a solid foundation for pursuing a variety of careers or advanced degrees in fields including:
UMass Dartmouth Advantages
Customize your education and receive the help and guidance to finish as planned:
- UMassD rated #4 in Massachusetts for online bachelor's programs, #6 in New England, and #70 nationwide by U.S. News & World Report
- Value and affordability of a UMass education
- Generous transfer policy
- One-on-one personal advising from enrollment through graduation
- Free online and in-person tutoring and writing center
UMass Dartmouth advanced degrees
Learning Style: Online
Online – Courses are taught by UMass Dartmouth faculty to provide high quality instruction and personal attention. Students have the flexibility to accommodate work and home responsibilities within the structure of defined assignment due dates.