English Literature & Criticism Online
Transfer your credits or earn your degree completely online
This Bachelor of Art English degree with the Literature and Criticism option is an exciting discipline that challenges you to explore both literature and writing, You'll learn how to:
- read and think critically
- engage with literature—and the world—thoughtfully and analytically
- identify and analyze formal literary genres and schools of literary criticism
- communicate effectively through literary analysis, persuasive argument, critical exposition, and presentation
Our award-winning faculty members specialize in a wide and diverse range of fields such as creative nonfiction, drama, fiction, poetry, world and British literature, and many more.
Develop your analytical skills as you consider literary texts, language, and the creation of meaning. Hone your ability to critically engage literature through oral, written, and web-produced assignments: These skills translate to many industries and are valued by many employers.
Transferring to UMassD
With our generous transfer policy, students with existing credits may transfer up to 90 credits from a regionally accredited institution.
UMass Dartmouth Literature & Criticism degree students must complete 120 credits to graduate with a Bachelor of Arts (BA).
Sample Course Offerings
Examples of courses offered in the Liberal Arts concentrations include (course offerings subject to change):
- Intro to Literary Studies
- Intro to Critical Theory
- Intermediate Composition
- British Literature
- African-American Literature
- The English Renaissance
- American Women Playwrights
- American Poetry
Course descriptions, schedules and requirements
Customize your education and receive the help and guidance to finish as planned:
- UMassD online bachelor’s degree program ranked #7 in the nation by College Choice for most affordable online colleges
- Value and affordability of a UMass education
- Generous transfer policy
- One-on-one personal advising from enrollment through graduation
- Free online and in-person tutoring and writing center
Expand your opportunities
UMass Dartmouth advanced degrees
- MA in Professional Writing & Communication
- Graduate certificate in Professional Writing & Communication
Learning Style: Online
Online courses are taught by UMass Dartmouth faculty to provide high quality instruction and personal attention. Students have the flexibility to accommodate work and home responsibilities within the structure of defined assignment due dates. The majority of our online courses are taught asynchronously.