Maybe you're unsure of what to study. Maybe you're interested in a lot of disciplines. The College of Arts and Sciences introduces students who are undecided to an array of disciplines to help you make a decision about your major.
You'll have the opportunity to explore a variety of majors so that you can make an informed choice about your area of study. Many times students encounter an area of study in their first semesters that they are surprised to find they end up really enjoying.
You are not pressed to select a major right away. You have time to determine one that complements your interests and abilities. A final decision on a major does not need to be made until the end of the first semester of your sophomore year.
We help you choose a major
- You’ll consult with faculty and career advisors to identify where you want to go in your career
- You’ll work with the Career Development Center to self-assess and explore your interests as well as various majors and careers.
- You'll work closely with a professional advisor who will assist you in selecting a major
- You can participate in student organizations that can help you focus your interests
- You can gain hands-on work experience through internships
.In the first semester, a special selection of core courses is selected for you. These courses meet university studies and college distribution requirements and introduce you to a variety of subjects. They usually include critical reading and writing, as well as a variety of introductory courses in the humanities, social sciences, mathematics, and sciences.
You will take a range of courses in the social sciences disciplines such as psychology, sociology, anthropology, crime and justice studies, economics, political science, policy studies, and women's studies.
In the humanities disciplines, you will study in courses such as English, history, philosophy, foreign literature and languages, Portuguese, art history, and music.
At UMass Dartmouth’s College of Arts and Sciences, we help you lay the groundwork for success on every level: expanding your mind, knowing your heart, transforming your dreams into realities, one step at a time.
- Gain hands-on work experience through internship programs
- Consult with faculty and career advisors to identify where you want to go in your career—and how to get there
- Participate in the many activities sponsored by more than 100 student organizations