The Legal Studies minor offers students a unique opportunity to explore the legal system and the role of law in society from an interdisciplinary perspective. This minor is designed for students who are interested in learning about the law, the various facets of the legal system, the role of law in society, and how law shapes and is shaped by historical, political, economic, and social forces.
The Legal Studies minor offers students:
- a law-centered curriculum for students in majors across disciplines
- an understanding and appreciation for an interdisciplinary approach toward understanding the law
- a curriculum that establishes a framework for understanding and engaging society as an educated and responsible citizen
- a solid foundation for students who will be pursuing careers and graduate study in law and law related fields
Students in the minor will achieve the following learning outcomes:
- Identify and understand key concepts and terminology relevant to the law
- Demonstrate analytical and critical-thinking skills appropriate to the study of the law, its institutions, and legal issues
- Analyze the law, its institutions, and legal problems from an interdisciplinary perspective, such as their social, economic, and theoretical influences and impacts
For a full list of requirements, visit the Legal Studies Tracking Sheet
A minor must be completed at the time of the degree and will be so noted in the student’s transcript.
A student cannot be readmitted to the University to complete only a minor. To declare a Legal Studies minor, a student must be a degree candidate who has earned at least 24 credits, with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 and a minimum 2.5 grade point average in the major.
- Honors College: take advanced courses, pursue research, and be part of a community of scholars
- Study Abroad: earn academic credits and gain a global perspective on your field
- Undergraduate Research: faculty work with students on cutting-edge research projects
- University Studies: gain the benefit of a broad university education to enhance your knowledge and skills