Psychology: Applied Behavior Analysis (Hybrid)
Not accepting new students
The Psychology: Applied Behavior Analysis Master's program is not accepting new students at this time.
Earn your master’s degree from UMassD
Earn your Master of Arts in Psychology with an Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) focus in just 6 semesters. Our program offers blended courses—combining online and face-to-face classes in each course—that are verified by the Association for Behavior Analysis International® (ABAI) as meeting specific faculty and coursework standards. This program suits the needs of today's students by offering this hybrid style of learning.
- This master’s program prepares students to meet the academic requirements necessary to sit for the Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA) examination. View BCBA pass rates.
- This part-time, 36-credit hybrid program is designed to be completed in three years. Students can have some flexibility as long as they complete it on a timely basis. UMass Dartmouth also offers an Applied Behavior Analyst Graduate Certificate for professionals who have earned a master’s degree in education or psychology. This is a two-year, 24-credit program that provides the academic requirements necessary to sit for the BCBA exam.
Fall, Year 1
- PSY534—Philosophical Underpinnings of ABA
- PSY504—Topics in Child Development
Spring, Year 1
- PSY526—Measurement and Design in ABA
- PSY509—Concepts and Principles of ABA
Fall, Year 2
- PSY531—Behavioral Assessment
- PSY525—Implementing Behavior Analysis in Educational Settings
Spring, Year 2
- PSY532—Behavioral Interventions
- PSY518—Cognitive Neuroscience
Fall, Year 3
- PSY529—Ethics and Professionalism in ABA
- PSY527—Clinical Applications in ABA
Spring, Year 3
- PSY533—Supervision and Management
- PSY586—ABA Seminar
Course descriptions, schedules and requirements
- Earn your MA in psychology and learn from faculty who have specific training in behavior analysis and psychology. This coursework sequence has been verified to meet the academic requirements for eligibility to take the Board Certified Behavior Analyst Examination.
- Receive comprehensive ABA training that complements the theoretical framework of psychology.
- As a state university UMass Dartmouth’s tuition and fees are more manageable.
- Conveniently located in the SouthCoast of Massachusetts where there is a strong, local demand for BCBAs.
- The UMassD program is structured so that individuals can do their experience hours as part of their job, provided they can be supervised by a certified BCBA.
- Hybrid learning style—courses combine online and face-to-face classes in each course.
Master of Arts in Psychology students may also choose concentrations in:
Psychology: Applied Behavior Analysis Faculty
R. Thomas Boone, PhD
Social and Developmental Psychology, Brandeis University:
Studies emotion communication and cooperation.
Gary M. Pace, PhD, BCBA-D
Learning and Physiological Psychology, University of Kentucky: research interests include applied
behavior analysis, severe behavior disorders, antecedent control procedures, treatment integrity, acquired brain injury.
Melanie DuBard, PhD, BCBA-D
School Psychology, University of Southern Mississippi: clinical and research interests include functional behavior assessment, treatment integrity, school consultation, assessment and treatment of severe behavior.