August 7 – 11, 2017
9am – 4pm
College of Engineering
285 Old Westport Road, MA, 02747
For ages 11-14
This camp is geared for children ages 11-18. While there are no requirements for this camp, please understand that this is an introduction to programming with the intent of developing problem-solving and critical-thinking skills.
- Morning and afternoon snacks will be provided.
- Campers will need to bring their own lunches. Please contact us if other arrangements need to be made.
- Supervision will be provided during the lunch hour.
- Each camper will receive a t-shirt, certificate of completion, and numerous tutorial files to use at home to create additional apps.
Camp fee: $150 per student. Low-income students are eligible for partial or complete waiver of the camp fee.
Please complete the Camp Registration Form (PDF).
Mail it along with your check made out to University of Massachusetts Dartmouth with "App Camp" in the memo line, to:
College of Engineering
285 Old Westport Road
Dartmouth, MA 02747
About App Camp
App Inventor for Android is an open-source web application originally provided by Google team led by Hal Abelson and Mark Friedman. Android App Inventor is a visual, drag-and-drop, web-based tool for building mobile applications for Android devices maintained by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
- Engage youth in developing new applications through simple interface
- Promoting computer science education
- Conducting and supporting community research
What to expect
- The App Development creation transforms the complex language of text-based coding into visual, drag-and-drop building blocks. The simple graphical interface grants even an inexperienced novice the ability to create a basic, fully functional app within an hour or less.
- Campers will be able to create user-interfaces using the drag-and-drop interface. The camp will begin with basic introduction to the coding and user interface and progress towards creating real applications for Android devices.
- App Inventor allows the user to access the phone’s dialer, SMS (texting) capabilities, GPS, and accelerometer (tilting the device) among other features, allowing the camper to write fully functional apps that can be installed and used on any Android phone.
Many of the apps available through the Android Play Store have been created using App Inventor.