Nurse Faculty Loan Program
The UMass Dartmouth College of Nursing & Health Sciences is pleased to offer the Nurse Faculty Loan Program (NFLP) to graduate nursing students enrolled in either the master’s degree (MS) or PhD program and who plan to become nurse educators.
The NFLP is a U.S. Department of Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) partial loan forgiveness program made possible by a federal government grant. The NFLP is designed to prepare and train qualified nurse educators to fill faculty vacancies and increase the number of trained nurses entering the workforce.
In exchange for employment as nurse faculty for four years at any accredited school of nursing following graduation, the program authorizes cancellation of up to 85 percent of the student’s NFLP loan. Following each of the first three years serving as full-time nursing faculty, 20 percent of the loan will be cancelled after each year. After completing the fourth year, 25 percent of the loan will be cancelled.
The eligibility requirements are as follows:
- Full- or part-time enrollment for a minimum of two consecutive semesters in either the PhD Nursing degree or master’s degree in nursing with a focus on nursing education
- U.S. citizen or national of the U.S. or lawful permanent resident of the U.S. and its territories
- Good academic standing
- No judgement liens entered against you
- Complete the education course requirements for the program
The loan covers the following expenses:
- Electronics and supplies for reasonably related educational purposes
- Fees for conferences required for PhD candidates
The maximum funding a student can receive is $35,500/year for up to five years. All courses must be taken at UMass Dartmouth.
How to apply
The deadline for 2023-2024 applications is August 22, 2023. Contact NFLP Program Director Geri-Lyn Boyden for more information.