Sheila L. Macrine Ph.D. Temple University (2011)
Rcently published four books and numerous scholarly articles and chapters on inclusion, neoliberalism in education, the impact of No Child Left Behind, and instruction and assessment in the literacy classroom. Dr. Macrine is the recipient of many grants.
Sheila Macrine is a school psychologist and a reading specialist. Her research focuses on connecting the cultural, political, and institutional contexts of pedagogy and learning theory as they relate to the public sphere, democratic education and social imagination. She examines these issues on many levels including educational reform and policy, as well as, teaching Culturally and Linguistically Diverse students. She has published numerous articles on diverse learners and recently published four books. She is currently studying the political and cultural forces at work in our national education policies.
Books, monographs and edited volumes
- Macrine, S. (2012). Critical Pedagogy in Uncertain Times: Hopes and Possibilities (ed.). Released in Paperback edition. New York, NY: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Macrine, S., McLaren, P. & Hill, D. (2010). Revolutionizing Pedagogy: Education for Social Justice Within and Beyond Global Neoliberalism (Eds.) New York, NY: Palgrave Macmillan
- Macrine, S. (2009). Critical Pedagogy in Uncertain Times: Hopes and Possibilities (ed.) New York, NY: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Kelsh, D., Hill, D., & Macrine, S. (2009). Class in Education: Knowledge, Pedagogy, Subjectivity (eds.). London: Routledge.
Journal Articles and Book Chapters
- Macrine, S. (2011). The War on Youth: An Essay Review. Education Review, August 16, 2011 Volume 14 Number 7.
- Goldstein, R, Macrine, S. &, Chesky, N.(2011). Welcome to the "New Normal": The News Media and Neoliberal Reforming Education. Journal of Inquiry and Action in Education, Vol. 4, No 1 (2011).
- Macrine, S. (2010). Barriers Success for the Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students. Peace Studies Journal, Vol. 3, Issue 1,pp.76-90, April 2010.
- Macrine, S. (2009). Special Education and Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students. Educação, Porto Alegre, v. 32, n. 1, p. 33-41, Jan. 2009
- Macrine, S. & Sabbatino, E., (2008). Dynamic Assessment and Remediation Approach: Using the DARA Approach to Assist Struggling Readers. Reading and Writing Quarterly: Overcoming Learning Difficulties. Vol. 24, Issue 1, 2008. Francis and Taylor, Flushing: NY.
- Macrine, S. (2008). Inclusive Schooling. In Gabbard, D. A., Knowledge and Power in the Global Economy: The Effects of School Reform in a Neoliberal / Neoconservative Age. (2nd Edition). NY: NY, Lawrence Erlbaum and Associates.
- Sabbatino, E. & Macrine, S. (2007). Start on Success: A Model Transition Program for High School Students with Disabilities, Preventing School Failure, Volume 52, Number 1 / Fall 2007.
- Macrine, S. (2005). Imprisoning Minds: The Violence of Neoliberal Education or we are not for sale! In Saltman, K.G. & Gabbard, D.A. (Eds.), Education as Enforcement: The Militarization and Corporatization of Schools. New York, NY: Routledge, 202-211.
- Macrine, S. (2004). Cooking the Books: Educational Apartheid and No Child Left Untested. In Gabbard, D. A., & Ross, E. W. (Eds.). (2004) Defending public schools: Education under the security state. Westport, CT: Praeger.
- Macrine, S. (2002). Pedagogical Bondage: Body Bound and Gagged in a Techno-Rational World. In S. & S. Shapiro (Eds.) Body Movements: Pedagogy, Politics, and Social Change. Cresskill, NJ: Hampton Press, 133-145.
- Lidz, C. & Macrine, S. (2002). An Alternative Approach to the Identification of Gifted Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Learners. Mensa Research Journal Vol. 33, No. 1, 12-33 (Winter 2002).
- Macrine, S. (2001). Corporate/Education Nuptials: the Strangulation of Democracy. In M. Krank & S. Steinberg (Eds.) The Politics of Schooling: Creating Communities of Solidarity & Hope. New York: Hampton Press.
- Macrine, S & J. Chapman (2001). Physician's Knowledge, Training and Practices in the Treatment of ADHD. The Eric Clearinghouse, EC308892 May/June Issue.
- Lidz, C. & Macrine, S. (2001). The Contribution of Dynamic Assessment: An Alternative Approach to the Identification of Gifted Culturally and Linguistically Diverse. International Journal of School Psychology, v22 n1 p74-96 Feb 2001.
- Macrine, S.L. (1999). Literacy Teaching and Learning Models: A Critical Multicultural Alternative to Current Paradigmatic Perspectives. Journal of Critical Pedagogy, Issue II, vol.2, 1-8. http://web.gseis.ucla.edu/~pfi/Documents/lteracy_model_by_Macrine.html
- Kanpol, B. & Macrine, S. (1998). Giftedness and Critical Pedagogy: Is There a Match. Critical Pedagogy Networker. Aug., vol. 1, 1-8.
- Johnson, V.G. & Macrine, S. (1998). Student Teachers’ Explanations for Changes in their Thinking. Teacher Educator, v34 n1 p30-40 Sum 1998.
- Quinn, K.B. & Macrine, S. (1997). A Framework for a Collaborative Training Model for Reading Specialists. Journal of Reading Education. Vol. 22(2), 1-16.
- Macrine, S. (1997). Towards a Dialogical Mediated Action Approach to Reading Remediation. Education. Vol.117 (3), 386-395.
Book Reviews, Essays and Critiques
- Macrine, (2011). Youth in Suspect Society: Democracy or Disposability? Henry A. Giroux. Power and Education.
- Macrine, S. (2008). Re-Democratize Higher Education. ACADEME, Volume 93, Number 6.
- Macrine, S. (2007). Essay Review of the University in Chains: Confronting the Military, Industrial, Academic Complex by Henry A. Giroux. Boulder, CO: Paradigm Publishers. Teachers College Record, Date Published: October 03, 2007.
- Macrine, S. (2005). Reloaded: The Politics and Praxis of Dissent, A critical essay on Teaching Peter McLaren: Paths of Dissent, edited by Marc Pruyn and Luis Huerta-Charles, (2005). New York, NY: Peter Lang Publishers. Education Review, 1-12, March, 2005.
- Macrine, S., (2005). Re-enchanting Critical Social Theory: Troubling Postmodernism. Journal for Critical Education Policy Studies, Volume 3, Number 1 (March 2005).
- Macrine, S., (2004). An essay review of World, Class, Women: Global Literature, Education and Literature by Goodman, Robin Truth. (2004). London: Routledge Falmer Press. Education Review, September 1, 2004.
- Macrine, S. (2004). Imagining a Global Democratic Public Sphere: Reclaiming Feminism, Schooling and Economic Justice, Gender Matters, postcolonial/Post-imperial Journal. http://www.scholars.nus.edu.sg/landow/post/index.html
|EDU 523||Integrated Content Methods – Elementary|
|EDU 531||Student teaching -Elementary|