The Music Education program develops skillful teachers who are in demand throughout New England and across the country.
We take a global approach to music education, encouraging you to explore the world's musical heritage and bring diverse experiences to the classroom. You'll receive thorough training as both an instrumentalist/vocalist and as a teacher of music at the elementary and/or secondary levels.
The program emphasizes how to develop and conduct vocal and instrumental ensembles, methods for teaching music, music education's historical foundations, and up-to-date electronic teaching tools. Your supervised field experiences will culminate in a semester of student teaching.
The Music Education program leads to the Massachusetts Initial License to teach in schools and is approved by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.
The music education program is a 4 year program, consisting of 126 credit hours that include vocal and instrumental methods classes and a semester of teaching practicum. You'll graduate with your BA in Music and your initial licensure in music education (grades K-12).
Our music curriculum is designed to develop your performance ability, musical analysis, critical and creative thinking, and original ideas. Choose from a variety of topics including:
- genres ranging from classical to jazz to rock
- music therapy
- video scoring
The Music Department is approved by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to offer courses for Initial Licensure in Music Education (K-12). Reciprocal agreements allow this certification to be valid in many states in addition to Massachusetts.
- Performance: advance your skills as a performer through our many vocal and instrumental ensembles
- Concert series: the department sponsors performances by professional artists of national and international stature
- Jam sessions: share your love of jazz at jam sessions with faculty and guest musicians
- Community: participate in student-led ensembles
- University Studies: gain the benefit of a university education to broaden your options for success in the arts