The MFA in Artisanry - Ceramics is a 60 credit, 2- to 3-year program of study.
The Ceramics program offers the opportunity for concentrated studio work involving both technical and conceptual challenges. Through questioning and experimentation, students work to consolidate materials and processes while developing strong conceptual and expressive ideas.
Graduate students are encouraged to pursue individual areas of interest which may include fabrication of functional or sculptural forms. Your work in the studio is complemented by courses in clay and glaze formulation, kiln construction, and ceramic history and aesthetics.
You will work closely with a faculty advisor to ensure guided exploration to develop maturity. Individual meetings take place on a weekly basis and critiques occur each month. Studies culminate with both a visual and written thesis.
Pursue your MFA at UMassD
- Assistantships: provide stipends, tuition waivers and fee reductions
- Exhibition opportunities: local, regional, and on campus
- Facilities: labs, equipment, and tools for artistic exploration and production
- Faculty: involved in scholarly, creative, and professional projects
- Individualized attention extended to every student
- Interdisciplinary projects and committees are encouraged
- Location: an hour from Providence, Boston, and Cape Cod
- New Bedford: an active downtown arts community
- University education: access to faculty in other fields
- Visiting artists: enrich your artistic and professional development
- Visual Resources Center: more than 150,000 archived images
- Workspaces: assigned to each graduate student
In addition to your application and fee, you are required to provide the following:
Portfolio of 20 images representing your art work, process of thinking, implementation of concepts, and studio production. The portfolio is the equivalent of the entrance examinations which other academic areas often require.
Submit your portfolio to: SlideRoom
- statement of purpose (minimum 300 words)
- official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended (regardless if a credential is earned or not)
- 2 letters of recommendation
Email materials to: email@example.com
Visit us—we're happy to arrange a tour of our facilities. Contact Jason Loete: firstname.lastname@example.org or 508-910-6635.