Drawing is a way of thinking.
The MFA in Drawing is a 60-credit, 2- to 3-year program of study for students who wish to further their interest and investigation of drawing as a contemporary art medium. The MFA degree is the credential that signifies the artist's capacity to work independently in a discriminating, distinctive, and professional manner.
The program provides an educational context where drawing is considered a core activity related to other disciplines, and also an end in itself.
MFA candidates can pursue their own goals, investigate contemporary concepts, hone technical skills, and advance personal vision through intense, focused individual studio activity. The faculty consists of experienced studio artists who work with the graduate students on a regular basis to further the development of their work.
In addition to the studio experience, the students are required to take courses in art history, critical theory, philosophy, and a broad complement of university offerings in order to cultivate their intellectual and aesthetic maturation.
To arrange a tour of our facilities please contact Aaron Bourque, 508-910-6669, or email@example.com.
Pursue your MFA at UMassD
- Assistantships: provide stipends, tuition waivers, fee reductions
- Exhibition opportunities: local, regional, and on campus
- Faculty: involved in scholarly, creative, and professional projects
- Individualized attention extended to every student
- Interdisciplinary projects and committees are encouraged
- Location: an hour from Providence, Boston, and Cape Cod
- New Bedford: an active downtown arts community
- University education: access to faculty in other fields
- Visiting artists: enrich your artistic and professional development
- Visual Resources Center: more than 150,000 archived images
- Workspaces: assigned to each graduate student at the Star Store, New Bedford
In addition to your application and fee, you are required to provide the following:
Portfolio of 20 images representing your art work, process of thinking, implementation of concepts, and studio production. The portfolio is the equivalent of the entrance examinations which other academic areas often require.
Submit your portfolio to: SlideRoom
- statement of purpose (minimum 300 words)
- official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended (regardless if a credential is earned or not)
- 2 letters of recommendation
Email materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org