We do not teach artists; rather we teach students to become artists.
The MFA in Painting is a 60-credit, 2- to 3-year program of study for students who wish to advance their creative exploration and professional development. The MFA degree is the credential that signifies a student's capacity to work independently in a discriminating, distinctive, and professional manner.
The Fine Arts program provides an educational context where motivated and creative artists can pursue their own goals, hone technical skills, and advance personal vision through intense, focused individual studio activity. Faculty members generate critical dialogue with graduate students at specific intervals during each semester.
Academic courses in art history, critical theory, philosophy, and a range of university offerings support the cultivation of the individual's intellectual and aesthetic maturation.
To arrange a tour of our facilities please contact Aaron Bourque, 508-910-6669, or email@example.com.
Pursue your MFA at UMassD
- Assistantships: provide stipends, tuition waivers, fee reductions
- Exhibition opportunities: local, regional, and on campus
- Faculty: involved in scholarly, creative, and professional projects
- Individualized attention extended to every student
- Interdisciplinary projects and committees are encouraged
- Location: an hour from Providence, Boston, and Cape Cod
- New Bedford: an active dowtown arts community
- University education: access to faculty in other fields
- Visiting artists: enrich your artistic and professional development
- Visual Resources Center: more than 150,000 archived images
- Workspaces: assigned to each graduate student at the Star Store, New Bedford
In addition to your application and fee, you are required to provide the following:
Portfolio of 20 images representing your art work, process of thinking, implementation of concepts, and studio production. The portfolio is the equivalent of the entrance examinations which other academic areas often require.
Submit your portfolio to: SlideRoom
- statement of purpose (minimum 300 words)
- official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended (regardless if a credential is earned or not)
- 2 letters of recommendation
Email materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org