The MFA in Printmaking is a 60-credit, 2- to 3-year program of study that fosters individual growth and builds on your personal artistic vision. The MFA degree is the credential that signifies the artist's capacity to work independently in a discriminating, distinctive, and professional manner.
The goal is to find the interdependence of idea to medium. This may be initiated through the pure language of traditional print processes, or this may be accomplished through a blend that complements the traditional multiple with other possibilities such as: mixed media, photo mechanical, alternative processes or digital fabrication.
Student and advisor meet weekly for one-on-one critique and additional faculty input is planned at mid- and end-of-semester reviews.
In addition to the studio experience, the students take courses in art history and critical theory, and a broad complement of University offerings that support the fostering of intellectual pursuit and individual aesthetic maturation.
To arrange a tour of our facilities please contact Spencer Ladd, 508-999-8048, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
A limited number of assistantships are available on a competitive basis. This award is subject to the work needs of the position and department, your satisfactory performance of duties, your academic record, and availability of funds, and may be subject to change.
Pursue your MFA at UMassD
- Assistantships: provide stipends, tuition waivers, fee reductions
- Exhibition opportunities: local, regional, and on campus
- Faculty: involved in scholarly, creative, and professional projects
- Individualized attention extended to every student
- Interdisciplinary projects and committees are encouraged
- Location: an hour from Providence, Boston, and Cape Cod
- New Bedford: an active downtown arts community
- University education: access to faculty in other fields
- Visiting artists: enrich your artistic and professional development
- Visual Resources Center: more than 150,000 archived images
- Workspaces: assigned to each graduate student at the Star Store, New Bedford