The Interior Architecture + Design program prepares students for professional-level entrance into the design field. You will learn contemporary design techniques, have access to state-of-the art design technology, build a personal portfolio, and gain workplace experience through internships.
You will pursue a well-rounded interior architecture and design degree that integrates technical know-how and artistic vision, develops your creative potential, and helps you launch your career.
Accredited by the Council for Interior Architecture and Design Accreditation (CIDA), CVPA's Interior Architecture + Design program is the only public option in New England.
Interior architects work for a wide range of clients. They work in hospitality, healthcare, commercial, corporate, residential, retail and institutional design. Many interior architecture and design professionals work in niches such as environmental design, historic preservation, furniture design, ergonomics, and health and safety.
Many graduates of the Interior Architecture + Design program go on to graduate school, to pursue a Master of Interior Design, Master of Architecture, Master of Sustainability Design, MBA, or other advanced degrees.
The program leading to the Bachelor of Science in Interior Architecture + Design is accredited by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation, www.accredit-id.org, 206 Grandville Avenue, Suite 350, Grand Rapids, MI 49503. The CIDA-accredited program prepares students for entry-level interior design practice, for advanced study, and to apply for membership in professional interior design organizations. The Interior Architecture + Design granted by University of Massachusetts Dartmouth meets the educational requirement for eligibility to sit for the National Council for Interior Design Qualification Examination (NCIDQ Exam). For more information about NCIDQ Exam eligibility visit: https://www.cidq.org/eligibility-requirements.
For the Bachelor of Science (BS) in Art + Design - Interior Architecture + Design, you will complete 69 credits in your major, 18 credits in art history and art foundation courses, and 120 credits overall.
The program emphasizes applied skills that you can take directly into the workplace. Our project-based curriculum covers exposure to the diversity of the field, including residential, office, retail, and hospitality. You will gain mastery over the technical side of interior architecture and design, while developing your creativity via numerous interior design projects.
You will also work on communication and presentation skills and engage in the type of critical give-and-take that occurs within interior architecture and design firms (and between interior architects and their clients). You will have opportunities to intern at a firm, gaining workplace experience for your resume. You will graduate with a professional portfolio that showcases your abilities and makes you a competitive candidate in the job market.
All full-time faculty are NCIDQ certified and have years of industry experience. IA+D faculty are a diverse group representing many facets of the field, including architects, engineers, and both residential and commercial designers.
- Internships: enhance your studies while gaining professional experience
- Computer, imaging & virtual reality labs: state-of-the art workstations, printers, and scanners with industry-standard software
- Facilities: designated lighting lab; full access to model making, furniture design, and textile design
- IDEAStudio: collaborate, create, and explore with state-of-the-art technology including a 3D scanner, 3D printer, and laser engraver
- Community: participate in regional, national & international competitions; join student organizations such as the American Society of Interior Design Club
- Honors College: take advanced courses, pursue research, and be part of a community of scholars
- Study Abroad: earn academic credits and gain a global perspective on your field
- Undergraduate Research: faculty work with students on cutting-edge research projects
- University Studies: gain the benefit of a broad university education to enhance your knowledge and skills