We encourage students to discover their identity through their work.
The MFA in Sculpture is a 60-credit, 2- to 3-year program of study specifically designed to prepare students for a professional commitment to their art. The goals of the program focus on working toward the evolution of a personal voice, acquiring historical knowledge of sculpture, understanding the art of various cultures, developing critical skills in looking at art and discussing aesthetic issues.
Graduates are prepared for numerous career choices within the field of sculpture. Students who complete the program have developed a clarity of thinking and a process of personal expression that will allow them to assume the roles in society of artist as practitioner, artist as educator, and artist as interpreter of their times.
Academic courses in art history, critical theory, philosophy, and a broad complement of University offerings support the cultivation of the student's intellectual and aesthetic maturation.
Pursue your MFA at UMassD
- Assistantships: provide stipends, tuition waivers, fee reductions
- Exhibition opportunities: local, regional, and on campus
- Faculty: involved in scholarly, creative, and professional projects
- Individualized attention extended to every student
- Interdisciplinary projects and committees are encouraged
- Location: an hour from Providence, Boston, and Cape Cod
- New Bedford: an active downtown arts community
- University education: access to faculty in other fields
- Visiting artists: enrich your artistic and professional development
- Visual Resources Center: more than 150,000 archived images
- Workspaces: assigned to each graduate student at the Star Store, New Bedford
In addition to your application and fee, you are required to provide the following:
Portfolio of 20 images representing your art work, process of thinking, implementation of concepts, and studio production. The portfolio is the equivalent of the entrance examinations which other academic areas often require.
Submit your portfolio to: SlideRoom
- statement of purpose (minimum 300 words)
- official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended (regardless if a credential is earned or not)
- 2 letters of recommendation
Email materials to: email@example.com
Visit us—we're happy to arrange a tour of our facilities. Contact Jason Loete: firstname.lastname@example.org or 508-910-6635.