The BFA in Art + Design: Drawing offers professional, studio-based training in the visual arts with all the advantages of a university education.
The BFA is a professional degree with concentrated areas of specialization, so you will take more art courses than you would in a BA program. At UMass Dartmouth, you also have the advantages of a university education where you can diversify your studies and expand your career opportunities.
You will learn fundamental skills and contemporary drawing practices through a wide spectrum of drawing course offerings such as:
- the human figure
- architecture & perspective
- mixed media
- time-based media
You will develop cross-disciplinary sensitivity—with the possibility of combining drawing with painting, printmaking, photography, digital media, textiles, sculpture, time-based media, installation and other disciplines in contemporary art making. You will also be able to explore fields across the university, such as business, engineering, and science.
As you move through the curriculum, you'll develop your own portfolio of critical, perceptual, and technical skills.
For the BFA in Art + Design: Drawing, you will complete 78 credits in courses related to your major, and 120 credits overall.
A minor in drawing provides you with the aesthetic, technical, and intellectual training necessary to succeed in the professional art world.
For the minor in drawing, you will complete 18 credits.
- Internships: enhance your studies while gaining first-hand experience in creative fields
- Studio facilities: located at the university's Star Store campus in New Bedford, our studios feature state-of-the-art equipment and ample work areas
- Campus Gallery: exhibit your own work and gain exposure to the work of contemporary artists
- Honors College: take advanced courses, pursue research, and be part of a community of scholars
- Study Abroad: earn academic credits and gain a global perspective on your field
- Undergraduate Research: faculty work with students on cutting-edge research projects
- University Studies: gain the benefit of a broad university education to enhance your knowledge and skills
Master of Fine Arts: Develop your personal voice and advance your creative skills with a master's degree. You can specialize in drawing, painting, printmaking, or sculpture.
Master of Art Education: With an emphasis on how the arts are integrated into daily life, the MAE program leads to a single-level professional certification in Massachusetts as an art teacher in grades Pre K-8 or 5-12.
Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Fine Arts: Designed for artists who have earned BFA or BA degrees, and would benefit from immersion in an academic/studio environment. Applicants may wish to develop their artwork for application to graduate school, professional residency or to launch a professional career.